Question about PSI drill chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

A question for the experts out there in turning land. The Penn State catalog describes their 1/2" drill chuck using these words:

"#1 Morse taper for Carba-tec or similar Mini-Lathes, mounts to headstocks or tailstocks. A 1/2"" grip can be used for grabbing small turnings or pen mandrels on the headstock or a drill bit in the tailstock. Accepts a 1/4-20 draw bolt."

In fact, the shaft on the chuck is tapered on both ends - an MT1 for the lathe, and a shorter taper that fits into the chuck itself. The MT1 end of the shaft is drilled about 1" deep and has a 1/4"x20 thread to accept a draw rod. But when used on the headstock to hold small turnings as described in the catalog, what holds the chuck onto the second taper?

My experience is that if the process of turning puts any axial force on the shaft away from the headstock, the chuck will eventually pop off that second taper. That would seem to me to be unsafe.

Is this a matter of false advertising, or did they send me the wrong chuck?

Wildman

1/2" Drill Chuck #1MT Item #: TM31
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TM31.html?green=14288725530

I do not have this drill chuck, pretty sure works same way my old MT#2 drill chuck works. Not sure would want to hold a pen mandrel in a drill chuck, no reason why it would not work if you bring the tailstock up to hold the other end.

I use my drill chuck in both head/tailstock for drilling on the lathe. Tool handles drilled with chuck in headstock. Most other drilling operations chuck is in the tailstock. Pretty sure your new chuck will do that job well.

Use my Talon with #1 jaws to hold small things without tailstock support.

Last edited:

johnnycnc

Your drill chuck is normal, the chuck body is fit on the taper on the arbor.
This is a taper friction fit and if put together clean, and seated; may never come apart.
You raise a concern that is valid, though. Usually a drill chuck has axial (inline) forces
at work, but not for what you describe. You may never have it come loose, but it could yes.
A better choice for turning is a collet chuck or wood chuck.

fernhills

Mine did once and i had a draw bar attached. The chuck came off the mandrel and flew around skipping across my ways and bench. It was not a cheap one either, i bought it from the little machine shop. As a result i will never put side pressure on it with out the tail stock up. That incident got me to buy a collet chuck. Carl

Top Bottom