Question About Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I recently was given some pen kits that was purchased in 1998, a friend of mine somehow acquired these kits and never done anything with them, so the other day he brought them to me and said that if i wanted to use them, they are mine. Here is what i have:

3-Twist Pencil Kits, #PK MONT-PCL
5- 24 kt Fountain Pen Kits, #PK MONTFP2
4- Classic Rollerball Pen Kits W/Screw on Caps PKPAR 10 RT

I am sure that the ink refills are probally dried up by now. My question is, are these kits too old to fool with? They are still in the bags that they were bought in, and the finish on them looks new. I have never made any fountain pens or rollerball pens. If these are ok, I would like to venture into making some. Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks, Keith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

I would think the hardware is fine. Just be a matter of finding the right bushings, or making your own to fit the pieces. Sounds like a fun project. Enjoy.

its_virgil

I think they are all still available from PSI so bushings are no problem. They didn't cost you anything (you were given them) so what have you to lose?Order the bushings and make them.

Twist Pencil Kits, #PK MONT-PCL: http://woodturning.pennstateind.com/search/index?query=PKMONT-PCL&x=23&y=9

24 kt Fountain Pen Kits, #PK MONTFP2: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMONT-FPT.html

Classic Rollerball Pen Kits W/Screw on Caps PKPAR 10 RT: http://woodturning.pennstateind.com/search/index?query=PKPAR+10+RT&x=23&y=6

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I recently was given some pen kits that was purchased in 1998, a friend of mine somehow acquired these kits and never done anything with them, so the other day he brought them to me and said that if i wanted to use them, they are mine. Here is what i have:

I am sure that the ink refills are probally dried up by now. My question is, are these kits too old to fool with? They are still in the bags that they were bought in, and the finish on them looks new. I have never made any fountain pens or rollerball pens. If these are ok, I would like to venture into making some. Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks, Keith

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THe kits will be fine, if the ink refills have dried up they are cheap enough to replace. I would try the refills and see if they still write. I have several form that long ago and most of them still work.

SDB777

Too old? Definitely not!

If the bushings are not available, you could always use undersized bushings(just to hold the tubes) and turn them down , while checking the diameter with a caliper, for proper sizing....

Turn 'em, and then show them off!!!!

Scott (waiting for the results) B

jocat54

I have some that are several years older than those (PSI bags say made in Tiawian) (from my first pen making adventure) most of the ink refills still worked. All the bushings should still be available thru PSI

Top Bottom