Question about making your own bushings...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikemac

Hi there..

I'm just curious. For those of you who make your own plastic bushings, what tolerances do you generally give them? +/- 2 thou? More? Less?

Just curious if I'm trying to be TOO accurate with these, given that they get sanded anyhow... (even if just a bit?)

Just looking for others opinions...

Thanks
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

I make the steel ones for turning about .005" over and the Delrin ones for finishing about .005 under. I basically just use them to hold the blank while measuring FREQUENTLY with calipers.:wink:

PenMan1

I make my own bushings with washers, a grinder and epoxy

A good hardware store will have every sized washer you can imagine, both fractional and metric. Take a caliper or micrometer and measure the ID and OD of the bushing you want to make. This information is given on the all of the instruction sheet from PSI and AS. Take your caliper to the hardware store and measure the washers, then come home and epoxy the washers together. Works very well and you can make a set of bushings in about 10 minutes, usually for about 25 cents (not including glue).

W.Y.

A good hardware store will have every sized washer you can imagine, both fractional and metric. Take a caliper or micrometer and measure the ID and OD of the bushing you want to make. This information is given on the all of the instruction sheet from PSI and AS. Take your caliper to the hardware store and measure the washers, then come home and epoxy the washers together. Works very well and you can make a set of bushings in about 10 minutes, usually for about 25 cents (not including glue).

I don't quite understand . Seems to me it would be hard to find washers exactly the same as the outside diameter of most bushings that are generally measured in thousands of an inch. But that is only the first hurdle. How do you also get them sized for the inside diameter that will fit over the pen mandrel without being sloppy or too tight ? .
There are three sizes to consider. The inside hole and the larger outside diameter and the smaller outside diameter. .
I must be missing something here . Please enlighten me. Better still ,, would be nice to see pictures of some you have done like that.

I have often forgot to order bushings on certain kits and made my own from corian . It works just fine using digital calipers.

I'll show you mine . . . can you show me yours ? ? ? ? :biggrin:

PSICartridgePenBushings.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom