question about magnetic tool holders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwd

the local woodcraft store said he would not use a magnetic holder for any turning tools because they would stick to the tool rest .
has anyone had this happen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pipeyeti

I use one and yes it does slightly magnatise the tools. I don't see it as a bad thing. It dosen't hamper the tools ability to slide along the tool rest, but it does help the tool keep solid contact between the tool and the rest.I like that. That is a personal opinion and I'm sure others would hate it.

el_d

I used a very strong magnet that was removed from a pening gauge and the tools did stick. Didnt slide too easily across the rest either. Used an old vidoe tape eraser to de-gouse the tools.

jwoodwright

Lupe, a little history, de-gausing was done to eliminate the threat of magnetic torpedos and mines.

In the early days of color tv, the repairman would be needed to de-gause the tv. It would unscramble the colors... Now it's built in, automatic...

Magnetic holders are used a lot. I don't like the effect and the tools don't slide as well. If kept away from the magnet or touching other steel, they lose the effect.

Rudy Vey

My tools are all held on the stand of my lathe with two magnetic holders that are normally used for hanging wrenches on a wall or so. So far, I have not had any problem, and I do this for years. On the other hand, my tool rests are stainless steel, so there is no problem; and when I hold my tools to the lathe ways, I feel only the slightest holding power, which I would not have problem with turning on normal steel tool rest.

dweir

I use a magnetic holder for my bench chisels and wrenches. I drilled holes in my lathe cart to hold my gouges. The magnetic holders made my Sorby's stick to the cast iron tool rest. Just my .02

Top Bottom