Question About Jr. Statesman Ver II Rollerball Nib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

Does anyone know if the nib of the JS II screws into the nib sleeve or is it a press fit? With the Ver I. the little nib end screws into the sleeve with a very fine thread.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I think we have an issue of semantics, Ron.

20071119194743_nibexplodedview.jpg
<br />
Using the picture above and the parts as labeled, this is actually a Jr. Statesman II nib from a recent group buy. If this isn't what you have, I'd be interested in seeing a picture.

arioux

Randy,

If you are talking about the little di*k shape looking end, it press in, it does'nt screw.

(Someone will definitely have bad tought about this one).

Alfred

P.S. I have an excuse, i'm french so i might use the wrong word once in a while[:D][}:)]

Randy_

OK, I see that I worded my question very poorly and confused a lot of people. Sorry about that. Let me see if I can do a little better.

First off, I am talking about a rollerball pen, not a fountain pen. When I say nib, I am using the CSUSA terminology as shown on their instruction sheets; but point out that they "appear" to use different terminology for different kits......but maybe not if one takes a very technical interpretation.

The part/s that I am talking about is/are the metal piece that extends from the cap threads(nib coupler) at the writing end of the barrel. It has a cylindrical shape with a pointed tip at one end and is about 1-1/2" long. At the end opposite to the tip is a coarse, external thread that screws into the nib coupler. This is the piece your fingers actually grasp when writing.

In some kits, that piece is actually identified as two separate pieces that screw together with a very fine thread. The longer section (about 1" long and referred to as the nib sleeve) is almost cylindrical in shape(has a slight taper) and is the part that screws into the nib coupler. The other part is the pointy cone-shaped tip(called the nib) that is about 1/2" long and screws into the nib sleeve. On some newer kits, it appears that the nib may be press fitted into the nib sleeve or that the combo of the nib sleeve and the nib may be a single machined piece.

So now the question is about the Jr. Statesman Ver II rollerball kit. Is that chunk of metal a single piece or two pieces pressed together? From information I have been given, it appears not to be two pieces that are screwed together.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your help!!

Don't know why I didn't think of this before, as I am a fan of "call the seller"; but I am going to call CSUSA tech people and see what they have to say.

workinforwood

That's a screw in piece. You have a press fit piece that you press in and then that piece screws into it. So, unscrew the nib piece, press in the coupler then screw the nib back on so you don't damage it in the press.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />The nib holder screws into the front section - assuming you are talking about the fountain pen version.

Confusing. The title of the post said "rollerball".
The title was EDITED, Frank. Aside from that, there are NO nibs on roller ball pens.

its_virgil

I beg to differ. Not trying to ruffle any feathers or start an argument, but I don't think the word nib is only used as the writing end of a fountain pen. The fountain pen purists may think that and want it that way...but it ain't so. The word nib is used by our suppliers (in their instructions)and by many, if not most, of the penturners with whom I visit to mean the very tip end of our kits....the thingy that presses into the end of a rollerball or ballpoint through which the refill passes...and also we know it means the writing mechanism on a fountain pen.

nib â€"noun
1. the point of a pen, or either of its divisions.
2. a penpoint for insertion into a penholder.
3. a point of anything: a cutting tool with a diamond nib.
4. a bill or beak, as of a bird; neb.
5. any pointed extremity.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

there are NO nibs on roller ball pens.

Rifleman1776

<br />
<br />
<br />The nib holder screws into the front section - assuming you are talking about the fountain pen version.

Confusing. The title of the post said "rollerball".
The title was EDITED, Frank. Aside from that, there are NO nibs on roller ball pens.

Thanks for the lecture. Not unexpected. As I said, "confusing" title. Which BTW, still has "Rollerball Nib" in place.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This is not merely a matter of semantics. If you truly want to participate in the world of high end pens, you need to understand the terminology. Using the incorrect term will immediately show the pen afficianado or collector that you don't know what you are talking about. There are accepted and standardized names for components of pens. They are listed in ISO (International Organization for Standardization)in standard 12757 and others.
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is a worldwide federation of national standards bodies from some 147 countries, one from each country, consisting of 97 member bodies, 35 correspondent members, and 15 subscriber members. This book provides contact information for ISO member bodies. ISO, a non-governmental organization, was established in 1947. Its mission is to promote the development ofstandardization and related activities in the world with a view toward facilitating the international exchange of goods and services, and to developing cooperation in the spheres of intellectual, scientific, technological and economic activity. ISO's work results in international agreements that are published as international standards.
The fact that our suppliers and/or their suppliers use the incorrect term is not very persuasive. The fact that turners use the incorrect term is also not particularly persuasive.

From Merriam-Webster online:
nib
One entry found.

nib

Main Entry: nib
Pronunciation: \#712;nib\
Function: noun
Etymology: probably alteration of neb
Date: 1585
1: bill, beak
2 a: the sharpened point of a quill pen b: pen point; also : each of the two divisions of a pen point
3: a small pointed or projecting part

From wordnet.princeton.edu
WordNet Search - 3.0 - WordNet home page - Glossary - Help
Word to search for:
Display Options: (Select option to change) Hide Example Sentences Hide Glosses Show Frequency Counts Show Database Locations Show Lexical File Info Show Lexical File Numbers Show Sense Keys Show Sense Numbers
Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Noun
S: (n) nib, pen nib (the writing point of a pen)
S: (n) beak, bill, neb, nib, pecker (horny projecting mouth of a bird)
WordNet home page

From answers.com
nib (n#301;b)
n.

The sharpened point of a quill pen.
A tapered point of a pen, designed to be inserted into a penholder or fountain pen.
A sharp point or tip.
A bird's beak or bill.

From http://www.rickconner.net/penoply/glossary.html
nib. Properly, a small bead of iridium or other hard metal soldered to the very tip of the pen point. Also popularly used to mean the point itself (although many points, such as italic points, do not have nibs).

Ballpoints and roller balls do not have "points.", they have "balls".

Randy_

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Randy,
My new JS II nibs are press fit into the sleeve.

Thanks, Ron. I guess we live close enough to each other to be affected by the same universal pentological forces. We apparently have the same understanding of pen construction even though my original question was carelessly phrased.[8D][8D]

its_virgil

I still do not want to argue. But, I sometimes can't keep quiet. I know the parts of a pen...including fountain pens, ball points pens, and rollerball pens. When I talk to a fountain pen collector or afficianado I use the word nib, nib holder, front section, converter, pump, bladder, and all of the other correct terms and we both are on the same page. When we talk on the forums about a particular ball point or rollerball and use the word nib, we also know what part we discussing. We didn't just fall of of a turnip truck. This is my last comment on this thread.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Randy_

Can't believe I am saying this; but this is a debate I choose not to enter other than to say that there are strong and weak points presented on both sides and that this is a debate that is unlikely to be resolved in our lifetimes.

Only request I have is that if folks want to continue debating pen terminology, please take it to another thread so we don't get away from talking about the gazurkyss of the JS Ver II. "Gazurkyss" being now defined as the subject of this thread since we can't seem to agree on exactly what it should be called. Thanks.[:D][:D]

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
So, Lou, help out a newbie who is honestly trying to learn (but doesn't want to spend nearly $100 for the defining documents from the OSI)...

If "nib" is only the writing point of the fountain pens what is the proper term for the writing end of ball point/roller ball pen and, more importantly, the volcano-shaped piece that the writing end of the refill goes through?

Thanks in advance.
GK

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Does anyone know if the nib of the JS II screws into the nib sleeve or is it a press fit? With the Ver I. the little nib end screws into the sleeve with a very fine thread.

Maybe this picture will answer your question. I just happened to have a kit before me that just arrived.

tn_Jr%20Statesman%20RB%20II.jpg

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Don - I know you didn't just fall off the turnip truck, but there might be one or two other members out of the 4,449 who do not know the correct terminology. I did not mean to offend you, but to help educate others. Isn't that a driving force behind the site?

its_virgil

I'm not offended...not at all. And, yes, education is one of the purposes of this site. And, also, yes you know me well enough to know I'm no lost turnip. [:D] I just don't think it's that improper to call that thingy that the ballpoint and rollerball refills propel through a nib. You have the right to disagree.. as do I. I just hope I don't come across as disagreeable. Let's move on.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Don - I know you didn't just fall off the turnip truck, but there might be one or two other members out of the 4,449 who do not know the correct terminology. I did not mean to offend you, but to help educate others. Isn't that a driving force behind the site?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
<br />.....Confusing. The title of the post said "rollerball".

My fault, Frank. My original title was a little unclear so I changed it.

The title of the thread did (and still does) say "Rollerball Nib". That was a bit confusing.
However, a search of Internet dictionaries did bring up several that include the writing tip of <b>any</b> pen, including rollerballs and ballpoints, as properly being termed the 'nib'.
That said, the overwhelming majority of other dictionaries were specific that nib refers to fountain pens.
The nit/nib picking was pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom