question about a new material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrewsignore

has anyone made a pen out of derlin? it is the material tattoo machine grips are made out of. or if any one knows if you can put acrylics in an autoclave?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrewsignore

i have a client who owns a tattoo studio and was interested in custom machine grips and they would have to be sterilized after every use and im not sure if it would damage the autoclave or not or damage the blank. the derlin is what the grips are currently made out of but ive never turned or heard of any one turning it

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Check with Ed of Exotic blanks and see what tempeture his blanks can with stand.

JerrySambrook

There are a few different grades of delrin.
Some are good to a couple hundred degree, and one good for about 900 degrees.

grainger.com has a good listing if you put a call in there

MorganGrafixx

I would say to just give the guy a few different blanks of different materials. Acrylic, poly Resins, Alumalite, etc. and tell him to toss them in there on a plate of course. If they melt, no big deal, at least you will know.

low_48

If the material you are after is truly delrin, gluing in a brass tube is going to be a problem. Almost nothing sticks to it. It is used in friction locations and for bearings. It's going to be a tough one for a pen!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would say to just give the guy a few different blanks of different materials. Acrylic, poly Resins, Alumalite, etc. and tell him to toss them in there on a plate of course. If they melt, no big deal, at least you will know.

This would be my solution, as well.

If you tell him something will work, it is YOUR responsibility if it does NOT. Let HIM experiment, then the decision is his. (The thickness that is on a pen is very different from the pen blank---this may also have a bearing on your result)

Top Bottom