Puzzle pieces blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I ordered this blank for my mom, because she likes jigsaw puzzles. The resin is clear, so I need to paint the tubes and reverse paint the blank. But what color? I was thinking white, since if I use one of the puzzle pieces colors, it would tend to hide those pieces. But what about something like black or silver? I can't decide.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I would suggest white or silver (sparkly, if possible ... you can get nail polish like that, but nail polish may dry too quickly)

A bright purple might work also, since that color is not already there.

Last edited:

KenV

I have has some interesting positive effects with multi color -- streaks of the primary colors in the colored block might be interesting.

With all of these ideas and clear resin -- if it does not look like you want, wire brush takes the paint out and you can try something else

Curly

If it were me I would do as others have suggested a number of times in past threads and get a dowel and paint it with a number of different colours. Drill the blank and put the dowel in the hole and if you like the effect that colour has on the blank, use it. If not, move on to the next colour. You could also do the same with coloured paper rolled into a tube.

I also think, because there is clear between the puzzle pieces, you should polish the drilled hole with sand papers to remove any scores from the bit. You might even drill a 64th undersize to allow for the sanding. A wood dowel chucked into a drill with a slot about 2" long, cut with a bandsaw, thin handsaw or even a hacksaw, along the length, will hold a strip of sandpaper wrapped around the dowel. Spin it in the hole moving back and forth. Running through the grits from 220 to 400 should be enough.

SteveG

Black is a common "GO TO" color for blank/tube coloring. It looks like the little pieces are opaque, so black would serve to outline each piece, probably to good effect.

The technique of trying out various colors is less effective if the blank is much thicker than it will ultimately end up being. So you will want to do that color testing with the ruff blank already drilled to size and partially turned, and with both the inner and outer surfaces polished up a bit to get the best "read" on what color to use. Have fun!

Last edited:

qquake

Everyone's good ideas made my decision harder. So I went with my first choice, white. Once I turn and polish them, I'll know if it was the right color.

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 168

KenV

There are no wrong choices in this kind of project. Just different choices.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the outcome.

qquake

White looks okay, but I can't help but wonder what black or silver would have looked like. Regardless, my mom will love it. There were some air bubbles and one small chip in the lower body. I filled them with thick CA, and will finish it tomorrow.

Attachments

• polished01.JPG
    polished01.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 161
  • ca03.JPG
    ca03.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 144
  • ca02.JPG
    ca02.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 146
  • ca01.JPG
    ca01.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 147
  • polished02.JPG
    polished02.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 170

SteveG

These turnings with white under-paint look good, but they also reinforce my vote for black. Silver will probably look fairly similar to the white. Keep having fun!

Top Bottom