putting a name on a blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KCW

So I got a request for a pen, with a name included on the pen barrel. Has anyone done this and any ideas on how to do it? I guess the kicker for me is that they like my swirled PR blanks and they want the name on one, so I can't just try a clear cast with a print. Any ideas welcome, thanks.

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jallan

Dan, if the swirled blank is light colors I use a Decal I print on my printer. If the blank is dark colors this would not work. Hope this helps.

KCW

They do like the darker colors, do you put the decal on the tube then cast a light color that can be seen through? I was hoping to be able to do it myself, but I might have to get it engraved. Would you seal the paint with anything?

Last edited:

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Finish the barrel and have it laser engraved. When you get the barrel back, rub some acrylic paint into the engraved area, wipe off the excess and deliver the pen.

Stan Cook does a great job, he is a pen turner with lots of experience.

Contact

Chris is right on. When you are wiping off the acrylic paint you can use regular isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean it up real good. Ken at Kallanshaan Woods clued me into this a few years ago.

triw51

Also another option is a gold or silver base fill for the lazer engraved area. I had some iron wood pens engraved with names and the engraver had a tube of gold fill he used not sure what the product is called but looked beautiful.

BocoteMark

Be careful when using regular isopropyl rubbing alcohol on plastics. It can cause them to craze. I think the only alcohol you really should be using on plastic is ethanol.

Charlie_W

In answer to your earlier question, a decal would be applied over top your finished acrylic blank and then a CA finish applied over that.
Others with more experience can help with the clear water slide decals.

KCW

Thanks for the input, still looking for an engraver to take on the project. I thought it would be pretty straight forward.

Top Bottom