Purpleheart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Does anyone have a really good idea for keeping purpleheart purple... sometimes my purplehearts stay nice, but most often they have a decidedly browninsh tint to them...
I want to make a pen for a special friend and she loves purpleheart.. I would like the color to stay real nice...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Tom... this is controversial... and some will disagree with me.

Put the finished barrels out in the sun for 15-30 mins. Turn over and repeat.

Sometimes they lose the color again. It can be brought back this way. There are other ways, this one works for me.

woodspinner

After you have re oxidized to get it back to purple use an exterior urethane to finish. Any good exterior finish should be harder and should last longer.
Instead of laying in the sun put them on wire and hang them up. This allows even re oxidation.

Good turning and be safe
Bill

Gary

The only trouble is with an exterior urethane they look like plastic. I used spar varnish and had the same problem.

timdaleiden

This has been my experience with purpleheart. Not all purpleheart is equally brilliant. If you start out with a bright purple blank, your pen will naturally turn back to that color. It may take a few days to a week. Sunlight exposure will help. I have a keychain pen that I carry in my pants pocket most of the time, made from purpleheart. The only places that aren't bright purple, is where the CA finish wore off. So a tough finish may be a good idea.

low_48

I once read about someone that tried using Armorall car interior protectant as a prefinish. Ultraviolet blockers are what is needed. I have never tried it. Maybe SPF 30?[:)]

Rich

G

You don't want a uv blocker,sunlight is what turns it back to brown,
I had the same reaction to the first PH pen I turned.
30 mins in the sunlight brought it back.
No problems since.

William Young

Eagle
I turned one last week and was very dissapointed with the brown color it turned to even though the blank was a beautifull dark purple when starting . I put a good coat of laquer on it and sat it by a window in the light and it came back to its original dark purple color. It didn't get much sun but lots of light. I think the heat generated by turning may have an affect on the changes of color but I am not sure if that is the answer.
W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom