Purpleheart Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewfGuy

I did a search, but didn't come up with anything. I turned a Purpleheart pen last night, and it turned brown. Almost as dark as walnut. Will the purple color come back? If not, how can I get the color back in it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ozzy

I've turned three Purpleheart pens and two turned out almost a Walnut color and one came out a brownish-purple; closer to brown. I'm glad to hear that it's not just me having that problem.

twoofakind

Read some of the other fourms about how to "change" the color back. There have been numerous discussions about this. It has something to do with heat or UV rays.
Andy

TBone

I've put pens in the dash of my car for a day or two, brought the purple back. I've also heard of people using a propane torch, but have never tried it.

I haven't noticed my purple heart turning brown, but it's been a while since I did anything in PH.. and sometimes I suffer from CRS.. I have a pen set up to turn in PH.. actually it's been set up for a year.. guess I need to do it and see what happens.

bob winegar

Do you mean it turned brown within just a few hours ?

I have had them turn brown but only after a longer period of time. Usually I turn one and but it away and forget about it. When I remember it later and check it has turned brown.

Does any one have any secrests about Padauk ? This is also a probem with color change.

Bob

TBone

Can't say for sure about long term, I have only been making pens about 4-5 months. But my first cigar was purpleheart about 3-4 months ago and I've seen no change so far.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by TBone
<br />Can't say for sure about long term, I have only been making pens about 4-5 months. But my first cigar was purpleheart about 3-4 months ago and I've seen no change so far.

Eventually. I have some small boards of p'heart in the shop which are many months old and still purple. OTOH, a pen, kept in dark in a case changed in about six months. Eventually it will happen.

NewfGuy

The blank started out a real nice purple color. When I got it turned down to size, it was almost as brown as walnut. Once I got it sanded, I just left it on the lathe. It's been setting there for a couple of days now, and it's turning purple again.

kf4knf

If I recall correctly doesnt acetone fumes help change the color? I know heat will do the trick but its tough to get the pen the same color throughout its length.

ilikewood

If you breathe alot of acetone fumes, the blank will turn all kinds of colors.[:eek:)]

Just kidding....I'll have to go home and see if that works on purpleheart. Never heard that one before.

Thumbs

This may be a really dumb recollection, but didn't somebody once say muriatic acid fumes would cause a permanent color change in purpleheart?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />This may be a really dumb recollection, but didn't somebody once say muriatic acid fumes would cause a permanent color change in purpleheart?

Absolutely right. It is said to change the purpleheart to a rather cranberry color. I have some muratic acid; if I get the motivation, I will show a before and after pix of purpleheart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom