Purpleheart - Brownheart?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I ordered some purpleheart bottle stopper blanks, and they came to me already turned brown. When I turned one, it is still brown - I was very careful not to heat it up when I sanded too..

I've looked on the internet, and some say it turns brown upon exposure to sunlight; others say that putting it in sunlight turns it purple...

Which is the correct way? Is my brown purpleheart permanently brown, or can it be changed to purple?

Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

It should turn to purple all by itself. Then, with time, it will go brown again. If you want to try heat, use some scraps. But, I believe that UV light is the triggering factor more than heat.

GBusardo

This topic is real interesting. I actually think it depends on the particular piece of wood. I was turning a tenon for a purple heart designer and the wood in that area turned a real bright purple. Why? I have no clue. My paring tool is very sharp and the wood did not get hot. I have tried to recreate that bright purple, with no luck. I have had some luck with putting the blanks in a microwave for a few seconds. But it only worked on a few blanks for me. The only time I got a real dramatic color turn was that one time with the designer pen. I have actually given up and let the wood do what it wants to do [:)]
My wife uses a purple heart pen I made her for work. She uses it under the normal floresent work office conditions. the rest of the time it stays tucked in her pocket book. The pen is as purple as it was on the day it was turned, I am thinking about a year ago.

DKF

My experience with Purpleheart and flat work is that exposure will turn it purple, and cutting, sanding etc. will turn it towards the brown....exposure again will turn it purple.....different boards have varying degrees of purple. With age, it can also turn somewhat "burgany"...

ctwxlvr

My experience is it will be brown on cutting, heat will sometimes turn it purpls but exposure to sunlight is what changes it the most, so far I have yet to have a pen turn back to brown.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Mine were dark brown when I got them, I've had them in the sun for a week, and no sign of turning purple at all!!

I even microwaved one, and it made a nice crack and sizzle, but no purple...The guy I bought them from is trustworthy, but I'm beginning to wonder if they're purpleheart at all!

Andrew

CrazyBear

Hi all

I am new to the forum and will introduce myself properly shortly

I have used quite a bit of purpleheart lately.

The wood turns brown as you cut and work it but it soon turns purple if you leave it exposed to air and heat (sunlight) I have even had the shavings turn purple in my dark woodshed. If you look at my website (http://www.hughwoodturning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2.html) I have a pair of purpleheart goblets that were brown when I applied the friction polish finish, they soon turned purple again.

Perhaps your supplier inadvertantly got his blanks mixed up. The other option is tthat purpleheart is supposed to turn back to brown eventually. Perhaps your blanks are at this stage of their life

edstreet

When I started working with purpleheart I did some research and came across this article which was very enlightening.

I also found a local shop that has some purpleheart boards for over 7 years in the shop by the back door and it's the most vivid bright red I have ever seen Interesting to note one end was still brown even after all that time.

Ed

http://www.organicsculpture.com/Purpleheart.html

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I have burnished a pen blank on the lathe to have it turn darker and lighter purple.More heat darker color. right into very dark brown.Pressure is the factor which produces friction heat. I had fun with this and made a variegated look to it.

toolcrazy

From what an old timer told me, it that it's more purple the closer to the heart of the tree. Browner the closer to the sapwood. Don't know if that is the truth or not. So maybe it's the age of the wood when it's cut.

edstreet

I use a product called feed and wax. It brings out the color of the purpleheart quite nicely. I think the key is on the final stage use a fine grit sandpaper. If you take some scrap wood and turn that then put something on it and cause a lot of friction you will actually see a color shift appear immediately. When this happens stop turning, put the feed and wax, shellac on then sit it back and give it a week for it to fully change colors. What you will end up with is a sexy burgundy wine color but not to dark. If you treat it normal and not do the burnishing finish on it then it can stay brown.

Ed

mbellek

Can you post a pic Andrew? I don't think that purpleheart normally turns brown to purple to brown so quickly....

I thought purpleheart was supposed to turn brown again (from purple) over like, several years... I know people who've owned things made of the wood for 5 or more years and there's no sign of a color change.

I wonder if you got a bad piece of wood <s>Andres</s> ANDREW!!

edited to correct spelling mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom