Purple Curly Maple and two others

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BrianM

BrianM

Here are a couple of my recent pens. The purple one is curly maple dyed with TransTint.

IMG_9218.JPG

IMG_9224.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BrianM

Thanks for the comments

No pressure pot, just turned the pen and rubbed on the dye prior to the CA finish.

The purple pen has haunted me for the last couple of weeks. My cousins wife wanted a PURPLE pen. She already has a pepper mill made of purple heart and wanted a pen that was purple as well. I tried several pieces of PH and every single one turned brown when I applied CA. I finally gave up and decided on using wood dye (I asked her first). I really like how it turned out.

AultMan

purple heart

Purple heart turns brown when you cut it, but will return to purple over time. You can also force it to turn purple by letting it get hot in the sunlight. I usually put it on the dash of my truck on a couple of hot days.

I haven't done this, but I also imagine you could get it hot with friction on the lathe.

toyotaman

Thanks for the comments

No pressure pot, just turned the pen and rubbed on the dye prior to the CA finish.

The purple pen has haunted me for the last couple of weeks. My cousins wife wanted a PURPLE pen. She already has a pepper mill made of purple heart and wanted a pen that was purple as well. I tried several pieces of PH and every single one turned brown when I applied CA. I finally gave up and decided on using wood dye (I asked her first). I really like how it turned out.

Great purple pen. Outstanding color. Where did you get the dyes at? Liquid or powder? Looking foward to trying this.

BrianM

Great purple pen. Outstanding color. Where did you get the dyes at? Liquid or powder? Looking foward to trying this.

I picked up the dye at Woodcraft. I used the liquid TransTints and mixed 10-15 drops in about 2 Tablespoons of denatured alcohol. Applied with a shop towel.

Top Bottom