PSI Turncrafter VS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bill Arnold

After some research, I'm thinking about getting this lathe to update to a VS from my Jet 1236. Here's a link for you to look at the PSI. Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar PSI lathe?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edward Cypher

I have the 10 inch turncrafter VS and like it. It does pens and bottle stoppers just fine but it bogs down on bowls and boxes. You can still do them you just have to take very light cuts.

monophoto

I've had a 12" Turncrafter VS for almost a year and like it very much. I tend to do mostly smaller items, but I have turned platters up to 12" just to prove that I could do it. The controls are reasonably intuitive, and belt changing is very simple. The 1HP motor seems to be quite adequate for most applications; in my experience, the most difficult task is drilling end grain, and the motor seems to be fully up to that task.

That lathe is shipped in two boxes, and you have to assemble it upon arrival. Be aware that unless you are into power lifting, you will need to move the boxes separately - the combined weight is significant. You do have to do some assembly - it's not very difficult and if you are mechanically inclined, you really don't need to read the instructions first. The instructions don't tell you to check the alignment of the headstock spindle with the tailstock, but that is something that you should do. Mine was bang on vertically, but I needed to tweak the horizontal alignment of the headstock. That's easy to do - there are four bolts that hold the headstock to the ways - just loosen them and twist.

The most challenging part of assembly is plugging the cable from the VS box into the tachometer and the instructions aren't helpful here. The hard way is to try to fit your hand inside the headstock to plug it in, but its easier to open the door on the back of the headstock.

I found that the speed range out of the box wasn't what PSI advertised. I called PSI to inquire about that - and ended up talking with Joe Roberts who talked me through the very simple process of tweaking the VS controls to get the speed range to 200-3800 r/min.

There are two lessons that I have learned the hard way. First, the indexing feature is not a true spindle lock. It uses a plastic indexing wheel, and trying to use that as a spindle lock will break teeth off the wheel.

Second, the little knob that locks the belt shroud in place needs to be loosened only a turn or two - anything more than that, and you can completely unscrew the knob, and if you drop it into the pile of shavings that lives under the lathe, you may never find it again. I ended up making a replacement knob by turning a scrap of wood into a knob shape and then gluing a metric nut in the end.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I bought my Turncrafter in 2006 and, it has served my purpose of pen making. It runs pretty quietly. Still using the same belt. After a few years it started to stop running or, had a delay upon start up. I pulled the switch out and, took it apart. The copper contacts needed adjusting to make contact. Put it back together and have had no problem since. I have made a lot of pens with this one. If I ever wear it out, I'll buy another one.

Bill Arnold

@Mannie: I agree that overall it handles the same sizes as the 1236. The speed control on the 1236 is annoying because the motor has to be running to change speeds. Invariably, I'll chuck something up with it still set to high speed; no problem if it's a pen blank, but I get a bit nervous if it's a larger item. I've checked into modifying the 1236 to variable speed and that costs as much as a new lathe.

@Louie: Thanks for your input. I'll definitely print out your post for reference. You make some good points.

@Chuck: Thanks for your post. It's good to hear from another satisfied customer.

arevee

I have had my 10'' vs Tuurncrafter for a little more than a year, I am satisfied that it does meet all my needs at this time. I have turned mostly small prjects on it like bottle stoppers, candle stick holders, salt and pepper shakers and of course pens. I added a stand that I purchased from PSI also and 4 locking casters from the Home Depot. I wouldd recomend this lathe to anyone that needed a small lathe. The fact that I live about 20 minutes from the PSI showroom also had alot to do with the reason I bought this lathe.

Last edited:

mjsix1

I own a 10" VS Commander that I have been using for 1 1/2 years. It is the only lathe I have ever used or owned. I am very happy with it. I have turned pens, bowls, duck calls, a few odds and ends for other projects (handles, pulls, etc), and even a 9" tall goblet. I have had no problems with it. Mine sits on a workbench, not bolted down, and has been rock steady. I have not had to replace any parts yet. I mail ordered mine through Amazon and it arrived damage free. I would recommend this lathe for any other beginner - it was reasonably priced and seems to get the job done.

Bill Arnold

Thanks to everyone for your input. You've been very helpful in my decision to purchase this lathe package. The 12" with a 1hp motor should serve me just fine for what I intend to do.

I mounted my 1236 directly on a bench against the wall of my shop. I made this bench with two layers of 3/4" MDF and have never had a vibration problem with the 1236.

Louie mentioned the Turncrafter coming in two boxes. This package comes in three boxes, perhaps because it includes the extension? The heaviest box is 70lbs, so it should be manageable.

Thanks again for your help.

Top Bottom