PSI Turncrafter Commander 10" Variable Speed Midi Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

PSI Turncrafter Commander 10" Variable Speed Midi Lathe
Today at 14:22:22 Mark & Quote Quote Modify Remove Anyone have any experience with this lathe? I've got the opportunity to buy one from a guy near me with an assortment of tools and a few pen kits. He's lost interest in the lathe and wants to sell his whole outfit. I'd been thinking about getting a midi lathe to go along with my Jet 1642EVS. I thought I could take it places for demonstrations, and such.

Any ideas or opinions? Its 110V, 3/4HP and would make a good pen lathe if nothing else. Any tips, hints, or suggestions?

Here's the link to the description by PSI: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC10VS.html

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I have the 12" (1hp) version of this lathe. It's basically a good machine, but it does have its quirks.

The one thing about these lathes that I've heard frequently is that the tailstock alignment has some backlash. My experience is that this is something that you can learn to deal with.

The other thing you need to be aware of is that the indexing function is for indexing only - it is NOT a spindle lock.

I've had good experience with PSI support for my lathe. Nothing has broken, but I was concerned about the speed range adjustment, and found that a phone call to PSI put me in touch with a service guru who talked me through the process of achieving the speed range adjustment I wanted.

carlmorrell

That's my second lathe. I have turned 1000 pens with it. I aligned the head to match the tail, and have no issues with that. I did have an on/off switch go bad. Got a replacement from Penn State and took about 2 minutes to swap out. :beauty:

Marmotjr

I have this lathe, and for me, as a starter lathe, it's done pretty well. I bought the whole kit (with the carbide tools and all the extras), so I'm not sure what came with the base kit, but with the setup I got, I made a pen that day.

Yes, my tailstock has some wobble in it. I just take care and align it properly before tightening it down. The spindle on the tailstock is kinda tight when it's near the 0 mark, I've disassembled and cleaned it repatedly, but it still binds a bit when ejecting MT2 tools. It's not a pro level machine, and it shows, but I've been able to do good work on it.

On mine though, the indexing knob is a spindle lock. It can index and lock down for chuck removal. Since it is a 1"-8 thread spindle, any of the common accessories will work on it. I have since gotten a Nova G3 chuck, with a few different sets of jaws, and it work great. I'm in the process of building a jig to make it into a drum sander too (Stephen oogles Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICehToDaObk ). I have no doubt it will handle any glue block, Longworth, Donught, or vacuum chuck I throw at it. All of which are planned for this lathe. Again, since it uses a standard spindle size, my chuck and all the jigs I build will transfer over to any other lathe I get.

It's smaller size/weight, has brought up an issue for me. Having done quite a few bowls and vases on it, I'd really like the headstock to pivot. But, since this is a smaller lathe, not an option. Nor is reversing the motor an option. The fact that it weighs enough to pick up and move, with a work piece still mounted, is a huge plus though. Instead of leaning way over to hollow out insides, I just pick the lathe up, spin it around, and do the hollowing "southpaw".

The motor seems a lot stronger than I expected. Not that I had a frame of reference as this is my first functioning lathe, but I've had some beefy pieces mounted and it's run like a champ. For pens and smaller spindle work, I leave it in high gear (900-4000(?)rpm) range, but for bowls and anything that might need a bit of torque, I'll leave it in the lower gear (500-2000rpm). Changing the belts between the two gears is a simple process; pop a cover off, loosen a lever, change the belt settings, re-tighten. The variable speed is a really nice feature, I don't think I could deal with having to swap belts every time I wanted to change speeds.

Bottom line: Would I recommend this lathe to a friend getting into turning? Yes, but the whole kit, as I wasn't finding a dozen things I needed right off the bat.

Would I rather have another lathe? I don't know. I haven't played with many lathes in this price/size range, so I don't have much to compare to. It won't be my last lathe, but I don't think I'll be getting rid of it.

So if you can grab one for a good price, go for it.

PS: I think mine was a used and return. The work lamp was broken, but the replaced that, and there were a few extra bolts that I thought belonged on a lawn mower push handle, as they were huge. Customer service told me they were to hold the belt door closed, but as they are bigger than the door, I doubt it.

Last edited:

MTViper

Thanks folks, I appreciate it. This will be my lathe to take places to do demos and to make small things when I feel like sitting down to turn. The prices was too good to pass up, especially with the bench, tools, pen kits, blanks, and who knows what else thrown in. He decided to get out of turning before he has to move this spring and he's liquidating. He and I are both going to be happy about this. Thanks again for the info.

Top Bottom