PSI Purse Pens-Newbie's Beware!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linster

Up until today I've been making Slimlines and Cigar pens from AS and some slims from PSI. I recently ordered some purse pens from PSI. When I got them, I checked out the hardware, comparing it to the diagram. I found it was missing the tips. I checked all 10 packs and none of them had the clips. I called PSI and they shipped me out ten tips.

Today I turned the first one. While carefully looking at the diagram and reading the directions, I put it together. Suposedly, the top cap is supposed to fit on the tip and over the end cap when in use. I tried but it would not fit! Couldn't figure out what I did wrong. Went back and reread the directions. I followed them correctly so what gives? At first I thought maybe they had the wrong parts in the bag.

I pulled out another bag and looked at the pictures and at the parts. After some cursing and frustration and playing with the parts, I found that the tips that I thought weren't included in the kit originally, had been slid inside the plastic piece that goes into the cap end. This cap part slips over the tip and cap end when in use. No wonder I couldn't fit the cap on the ends where it was supposed to go!

At first I thought "How stupid of me to not have noticed this before" but then got to thinking, why would you package the kit up putting the tip inside this plastic piece? It looked like it was all one piece! Then I thought "How stupid it was for PSI to package them this way". If you're new to penturning and have never made this kit before, you wouldn't have a clue!!

So newbies, if you make this purse pen kit from PSI, remove the gold tip from the white plastic part before you try putting it all together. It took me about a half hour to try and figure out how to take apart the cap end to get this tip out from inside!!!!!!!

Linster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

I hope PSI is listening! Did you send them a nasty gram?

Do you think they were packaged this way on purpose or could it have been caused by vibrational movement in transit from the manufacturer? -Maybe an improper packaging method from same.

In any case, great work on a post that could save a bunch of us the same pain! Thanks!

You put it in a plastic bag to keep it from being scratched up in shipping and handling. If you put it in the tip, you save the price of the bag and cost to put it in it.

Don't think it is stupid but perhaps a warning to a buyer that the tip is in the plastic thingy is in order.

smwoodcrafts

Hi Linster,
I recognized the name, but had to make sure. How long have you been turning? That's another person from the scroll saw protrait group found their way here.

I made quite a few of the purse pens and they weren't packaged like that when I got them. But then, I go to their store in Philadelphia. maybe the person that packaged them was bored [;)].

Dan Seymour
smwoodcrafts

Linster

Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />You put it in a plastic bag to keep it from being scratched up in shipping and handling. If you put it in the tip, you save the price of the bag and cost to put it in it.

Don't think it is stupid but perhaps a warning to a buyer that the tip is in the plastic thingy is in order.

Mac, the tip, plastic part and 2 other small pieces were in a seperate bag, the end cap and clip in another small bag and these 2 bags inserted into a larger bag with the rest of the hardware. Yes a warning would have been nice.
--------------------------------------------

"Hi Linster,
I recognized the name, but had to make sure. How long have you been turning? That's another person from the scroll saw protrait group found their way here."

Hi Dan. Still very new to turning. Just started 2 weeks before Christmas. Loving it! Have to get back to my portrait scrolling though soon. Craft Fair season approaches........

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Do you think they were packaged this way on purpose or could it have been caused by vibrational movement in transit from the manufacturer? -Maybe an improper packaging method from same."

I believe they were packaged this way on purpose. I could understand if maybe one or two found their way inside due to vibration, handling, shipping, etc.... but not all ten packs that I purchased. I just think that who ever packages these kits should realize that many of their customers are new and not familiar with every kit made. Anyway, it was a lesson learned by me that I felt I needed to pass along to the group.

I'm currently working on a website for my pens. Once I get it all set, I'll post the link.

Linster
Keeping the wood dust in my blood!

elody21

Thanks for the heads up! I have 3 sets waiting to be done. I don't like suprises!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom