PSI Lifetime Guarantee on Gold Plating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fingerworks

Hello everyone. I'm new to pen turning and new to this forum.

PSI offers a lifetime guarantee on all gold plated kit parts, including their 24k kits. Apparently PSI covers their gold with an epoxy coating to improve their durability. Is this something new that PSI is doing or have their 24k kits always been epoxy coated? Also, does anyone know if other companies also apply a protective coating on their gold parts? This seems like a great idea and apparently PSI is standing behind it in a big way. I checked the Customer Service link on the PSI site and here's a quote:

From PSI site:

"Lifetime Guarantee on Plated Components:
Penn State Industries guarantees that gold-plated components of specified pen, pencils and similar project kits will not tarnish, wear, or fade. This guarantee is limited only to the gold-plated components and does not apply to parts that are consumed by normal use of the product. Penn State reserves the option to replace the defective component, replace the project kit, or issue a monetary refund."

Appreciate anyone's first-hand insight,

Scott

Hi Ric,

Interesting question for your first post! ;-)

This issue is part of a bigger "hot potato", so I hope you don't mind if I handle it a bit carefully.

I first caught wind of the epoxy coating about two years ago. I do not believe that they have always used such a coating. I can't say it's been around longer than the two years I know about.

In my experience, any gold plating will wear. Gold is a soft material, and it will wear. Sad but true. Different alloys of gold will be more resistant to wear, but even the tough ones will wear. A clear coating over the gold, such as epoxy or powder coat, will greatly extend the durability of the finish. In normal wear and tear, an epoxy coat can extend the life of the gold plate by months or years. This is a good thing! But nothing like this is forever.

Pens are sorely abused. They're held, they're dropped, they're carried around in pockets with any manner of other stuff - it's a tough world out there for the typical pen. Wear and tear is to be expected to a certain degree. But I have found that a gold finish/plating is the most susceptable to wear.

In my opinion - and this is just my opinion - PSI's lifetime guarantee on their gold plating is more a marketing tactic than it is an indication of the durability of their gold platings. Of the thousands and thousands of gold plated kits they sell, only a few will ever come back to them because the worn pen would have to make it's way back to the person who made it, who would have to make a claim to PSI. These few claims would only result in replacement of the kit, which is probably only a few pennies to them. Then the maker of the pen would have to disassemble the pen and put the new kit parts on and return the pen. It just isn't likely this will happen.

Now don't get me wrong, I hold nothing against PSI for this! I use quite a few of PSI's kits, and I like them! A gold plated kit from any company will wear! If you are making high-class pens, and the plating wears off, that is not good for your reputation. So I chose a few years ago to not make any gold plated kits anymore. If I want something with the look of gold, I use a Titanium gold plating. I have had very good luck with PSI's Titanium gold slimline kit!

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not. Please clarify if you need more information.

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom