PSI Guardian Jr - Disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

Anybody have any thoughts on how to take this one apart? Did one for a client with a great looking blank. Danged click mechanism will not click! :mad:
Seems to work OK before I put it together. Not a problem with shortening the barrel or anything like that. I want to try and take apart to save the blank.

Did a second one right behind this one and it works properly. Can't figure out the difference. Searched the forum and did not find anything on taking apart.
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

If the Guardian Jr. is anything like the full size Guardian, you should only need to remove the plunger, tip and refill and then pull the front assembly from the barrel. Once you've done that, the support tube should fall out of the barrel. Push the click mechanism out of the tube with a 1/4" transfer punch pushed (by hand) through the clip end of the pen. The clip assembly can then be driven out with a 9/32" transfer punch.

Haven't bought a Guardian Jr yet, but I've done a bunch of its big brothers, and that's how I've taken them apart. Well not exactly, because when I take the tip off my front assembly falls all apart, where you have a pre-assemble piece. That actually should make it easier to pry it from the barrel.

I know you said tube length isn't the problem, but it doesn't take much to make these click mechanisms fail. Shave just a hair too much off the blank during squaring and you'll be jamming the support tube into the clicker, causing damage. DAMHIKT.

Rangertrek

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to think of a good way to pull of the nib assembly. So far, no good ideas. This would solve the problem of getting to the guts and small parts. I may pull off one of the black rubber rings and try to grip the nib.

Bobalu

The nib or front assembly as PSI calls it in their instructions should pull out of the barrel without a lot of effort, at least it did with the full size guardian. I just wiggled it a little side to side as I pulled the two sections apart. Perhaps the Guardian Jr is a bit tighter fit, but it's still just a press fit.

Rangertrek

Got the nib section and the guts out without much problem. The problem turned out to be the clip assembly. Tried with a punch and all I did was to dent the brass tube a little, it did not want to come out.
Setting this one on the re-work bench for a little while.

qquake

If the Guardian Jr. is anything like the full size Guardian, you should only need to remove the plunger, tip and refill and then pull the front assembly from the barrel. Once you've done that, the support tube should fall out of the barrel. Push the click mechanism out of the tube with a 1/4" transfer punch pushed (by hand) through the clip end of the pen. The clip assembly can then be driven out with a 9/32" transfer punch.

Haven't bought a Guardian Jr yet, but I've done a bunch of its big brothers, and that's how I've taken them apart. Well not exactly, because when I take the tip off my front assembly falls all apart, where you have a pre-assemble piece. That actually should make it easier to pry it from the barrel.

I know you said tube length isn't the problem, but it doesn't take much to make these click mechanisms fail. Shave just a hair too much off the blank during squaring and you'll be jamming the support tube into the clicker, causing damage. DAMHIKT.

I know this post is four years old, and I hope you're still around. I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I had a problem with a Guardian Jr., and your disassembly instructions were spot on. Thank you!

Top Bottom