PSI Baracuda Micro Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Russell

I have a Oneway Talon which I love and use all the time. Having to change jaws frequently is a pain in the neck however. So I am thinking about a second chuck. I'm thinking that I would probably just set up the second chuck with pin jaws or #1 step jaws for the small stuff.

The Baracuda series has gotten some good reviews but the micro chuck hasn't been mentioned. Anyone have one? Likes/dislikes?

Paul Russell
Aurora CO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hrigg

If you're considering using the second one just for pens, I'd recommend a dedicated pen chuck. I got the Axminster Jr. from CSUSA and really like the fact that I can get in close to the headstock without being too concerned about my knuckles.

Rifleman1776

PSI entered the world of knock-off chucks a few years ago. I had quite a time getting a good GMC3 from them. Early quality control was dreadful. Since then they have been offering some really top notch chucks at very attractive prices. Their 'C' series have some interchangable accessories (jaws, etc.) that fit all chucks in the series from smallest to largest. For pricing and versatility, they can't be beat. What you won't get is bragging rights that come with the high priced versions made in Europe. Kinda like buying a $15,000.00 Ford instead of a $50,000.00 Mercedes. Both will do the job just fine. Your choice.

alamocdc

Frank, FWIW the jaw interchangability is true except for the Barracuda 4. The "C" won't work on it (at least not on mine). Concerning quality and QC issues, I ordered a SuperNova2 with my mustard monster and both it and the first adapter Teknatool sent me were not true. I had at least 1/16" of runout at 3.5" and that was possibly the reason that bowl blew out on me. I ordered a Barracuda4 and adapter and it runs dead smooth. Maybe .002" runout according to my dial gauge. The only thing the B4 doesn't have is the set screw to hold the chuck to the adapter and another to hold the adapter to the spindle. These large chucks can spin free when the lathe is stopped if they have enough mass mounted in them. But I've been VERY satisfied with all three of my PSI scroll chucks.

mewell

We just got the CSC3000C from Amazon for $149.60... Everything came intact and seems to work great, but since we've only used it a few times I can't speak to its' longevity. I opted for this model since it will chuck a piece as small as 3/32" and I'd like to try some miniature work as well as hairpins, etc. I also have the flat jaws that will fit this model since I bought the cheepie "Utility Grip" a year or two ago.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom