Prototype fake cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Allen

Dale Allen

I saw that CSUSA had a new kit called the Asrtisan Executive rollerball kit. It is only available in 10k gold.
To my surprise it is a single thread design so the grain will match up every time.
I'm not sure why it did not blend well at the seam line. It is narrow, about a 45 ring size. My tooling may be a little off.
All new bushing sizes for this and they did not fit as well as I would have liked. I may order another one or two and try again.

Attachments

• DW1.jpg
    DW1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 301
  • DW2.jpg
    DW2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 289
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
As in many cases, your eye as the turner/craftsman is very precise - my eye as an admirer, the pen looks excellent. I see no issues. Very nice, thanks for sharing Dale, well done.

magpens

I agree with Mark .... it looks absolutely GREAT !!! ... and I see no issues .

You mention the blending "at the seam line" ... is that where the cap screws up to and meets the body ? IMHO, that area could not be better !!

BTW ... what wood did you use ?

Also, since you mentioned bushings, can you actually buy a bushing set to make the pen that size ?
I thought you would have used calipers to do the sizing.

It looks super-duper in every way !!!

Dale Allen

Thank you all for the complements. I guess I am my own worst critic!;)
The wood is Madrone Burl and it is not stabilized so it is more prone to tear out when turning.
I make my own TBC bushings from brass rod. Also, I needed to make a connecting rod between the 2 brass tubes.
In this case both tubes are the same size so I needed a 3" long rod that fit snug in the tubes. Not easy on a wood lathe.
This kit will work better for cigars I want to make that are smaller in diameter so I'll order more kits and try again.

Top Bottom