Protecting lathe while wet sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

When wet sanding acrylics and CA, I have a piece of heavy black shelf liner I got from Harbor Freight. I originally got this for my tool box, but had an extra piece.

16" x 22" TOOL BOX LINER ITEM 90982-4VGA $2.49

This works very well to keep water off the lathe. It is heavy enough to stay down, and stiff enough to stay in place.

Hope this helps!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Randy, I use a wetting solution made with Cool-Tool from Raytech, It's used on Diamond coated tools which would rust with plain water, I don't have to cover any thing, 8.00 gives you about 3 gallons put that in a coke bottle with a very small hole in nit and you have a red neck squirt bottle,that just drip a little drop when you want it.

tbroye

I just use a shop towel laid and the bed to protect it. The bed has a good coat of wax on it also. Every couple of week depending on how much I use it, I give it a good cleaning and waxing.

I just lay an old wash cloth or a towel under the blank on the lathe bed, then set a cool whip container with my sand paper and water on top of that and most of the water drips back into the container.

Last edited:
I just use a shop towel laid and the bed to protect it. The bed has a good coat of wax on it also. Every couple of week depending on how much I use it, I give it a good cleaning and waxing.

I use paper towels which work great, but the shop towel is a good idea too. Anything to keep water off the bed!

Last edited:

fernhills

I use a tall kitchen plastic bag. Slice it so it opens flat, lays across lathe bed and table. Water rolls to floor. I use it for C/A as well as wet sanding. Use it over and over again, couple months at least. Carl

Top Bottom