Problems with Majestic Cap/Clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mach1351

I have made around 50 Majestics and almost all of them have the same problem; the cap/clip doesn't sit flush on the tube.

The firs two pictures show the issue. The clip sits on the tube, but it is thicker than the ring that sits on top of it (between the decorative ring and the tube). This inevitably leaves a small gap at the top near where the clip starts. The only way I have found around this is to disassemble the clip assembly and shave down the clip ring with a file.

However, the the second pictures show a different story. I don't know if they are from a different manufacturer, but on these, the ring that fits around the clip is reversed and fits underneath the clip. This allows a perfectly flush fit.

I have tried reversing the ring on the other brand (if they are different) of caps, but they weren't made to do this and fit fit fully down on the threads.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in manufacturer between these two cap types and where to get them so I don't have to file all of my caps before assembly?

IMG_8678.jpg

IMG_8679.jpg

IMG_8673.jpg

IMG_8672.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Look at the second picture at the point where the clip attaches to its ring. The clip part attaching to the ring extends BELOW the ring, causing a gap between ring and barrel. This gap cannot be seen in pic, due to darkness in the pic...I just expect that is what is being presented as a problem.

glen r

You can see the problem if you enlarge the picture - I see what you are referring to but have never experienced the problem myself. I have turned the same style of pen but called a different name.

Hope someone else can determine what needs to be done.

mach1351

Like glen said, if you enlarge them, you can see the difference. On the blue one, the ring sits on top of the clip and the clip protrudes below. This causes the cap assembly to not sit flush.

On the black one, the ring fits below the clip and provides a flat surface for the cap assembly to sit flush on the tube.

They are two distinct products because I have gotten them both ways. The first one (the one that creates the gap) is not interchangeable, meaning, I can't flip the ring around underneath the clip because the hole isn't large enough for the threads.

Any experience with this would be great. I am tired of filing the clips on $35-55 kits.

Top Bottom