Problems with holes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

08K.80

I don't know who I traded with or if I bought them, it's been a while ago. But, I received some blanks that Mr. Brooks made. :biggrin: When I got close to the finished size, I noticed some very small holes. Just a couple of them, but in my attempt to turn down some more to remove them, I ruined the blanks. I had two blanks, both with these small holes and I ruined them both trying to remove the holes.

These blanks are the first I have turned that weren't from a catalog and was wondering if this is a normal thing? I am not criticizing Mr. Brooks or his blanks, the blanks were very nice, but these are the only blanks I have to compare. It might have been my fault?

What is the best way to eliminate or fix this problem?
Thank you for any advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

It's not uncommon to find occasional holes in any acrylic blanks. They're just small air bubbles that were trapped when the resin cured. I usually fill them with CA and move on. A close inspection might find one but they usually blend right in when the surface is all smooth and polished.

08K.80

Thanks John! Will the CA take care of the whiteness? I will try this the next time I find a hole. I wish I would have asked before destroying those blanks.:frown: I was looking forward to having a pen with a Brooks blank like I've seen many of on here.

plano_harry

any time a flaw shows up whether in wood or resin, it needs to be dealt with because it is a great place for a failure to occur. I have always used CA because it flows well, but a clear or colored epoxy may be a better choice depending on the color and complexity of the blank.

plano_harry

I presume the whiteness you are referring to is resin dust in the hole. It would be best to blow that out, or pick it out if you can. The CA will likely permanently seal it in place, but if you have some room, you might be able to turn it off once you have the hole secured.

JohnU

Like Harry said, clean out the white sanding dust first. I use a small straight pin to pick it out. If it's too small you'll want to use thin CA so it gets in the hole and doesn't just cover it up. Sometimes you have to stick the pin in the hole as it's covered with Ca to help remove the air. I've had some luck mixing sanding dust with ca to make a fill but that depends on the color or size of the hole. I've ruined a few blanks trying different methods. Lol.

08K.80

Thanks guys! I will try the suggestions next time. The holes were pretty small. The turning more off thing didn't work so well for me.:rolleyes: I have learned something new for today and hope to remember it for tomorrow.:wink:

Lucky2

I always use a needle to fill the pin holes. What I do if I come across pin holes, is to put a drop of CA on a piece of plastic, then with the tip of the needle I pick up a small amount of CA on the tip and let the glue seep into the pinholes by touching them with the tip of the needle. The glue fills the holes perfectly, I usually fill the holes a bit proud of the blank and sand it back down to size.
Len

sbell111

I'll need to remember this thread the next time somebody goes on and on about how casting under pressure is unnecessary.

Brooks803

Kelly. If you can send me a pic of the blanks I'd be happy to make you some more. I know that's not why you posted this, but I'd feel better doing it. Even with all the precautions I take to avoid bubbles they can happen.

The advice to pick out the white stuff first then adding in CA is the best method to fix. It doesn't always aesthetically work though. Sometimes you can fill it in with a color matching fingernail polish then CA over that.

I'll need to remember this thread the next time somebody goes on and on about how casting under pressure is unnecessary.

I strongly suggest using pressure with all resin types! I pressurize everything. Sometimes bubbles can still happen, but atleast it's a minimum risk.

08K.80

Thanks for the offer Jonathon, but I don't expect you to replace them because of my inexperience. I'm still learning and this is part of the process. The advice I received was great and I will use it in the future. I especially like the fingernail polish fix... I have some of that, in various colors. :biggrin::wink:

Top Bottom