Problems with drive pulley on a 7X12 lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

Anyone had a problem with the toothed drive pulley on the motor on a 7X12 lathe? Mine has come adrift causing the pulley keyway to be ruined and also the slot in the motor shaft to be shaped into a V.
Should it be a press fit, as there doesn't appear to be a slot for a circlip or threaded for a bolt?
Is there an easy fix or am I looking at a new motor as well as a new pulley and belt?:mad:
Regards
Kryn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Photos would help.

If there's no slot in the shaft for a retaining clip and if there's no threaded hole in the end of the shaft for a retaining washer then I don't know what to tell you. Those are the only methods I know of that are used on the small Seig type lathes to keep the pully on the shaft.
Did you look to see if there's a set screw under the belt that tightens down on the key?

KBs Pensnmore

Photos would help.

If there's no slot in the shaft for a retaining clip and if there's no threaded hole in the end of the shaft for a retaining washer then I don't know what to tell you. Those are the only methods I know of that are used on the small Seig type lathes to keep the pully on the shaft.
Did you look to see if there's a set screw under the belt that tightens down on the key?
Thanks Rick, that was the first thing I checked for, no grub screw.
I'll check out Lil Machine Shop see if they can help.
Regards
Kryn

plantman

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Kyrn; A machine shop could broach a new keyway in the shaft or they could horizontaly bore one in the shaft. The cost may be more than a new motor however. A quick fix would be to drill and tap a hole in your pully for a set screw. Line the set screw up over the groove on your motor shaft and tighten down. This should get you by until you make a permanent fix. Jim S

Top Bottom