Problem with painting the blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lago

After reading a number of posts, I tried painting the blanks instead of the tubes. I used a rifle cleaning brush first and then painted the inside with acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby. Don't remember the brand.

I was turning the blank and when I was close to being finish, it blew up when I got close to the nib. It was a red blank w/red paint on the inside. The exposed part of the tube is red so it looks like the paint seperated from the blank.

Did I use the worng paint? Should I switch to spraying a bit into each end?

Lago

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Delta Creamcoat is what was recommended to me. Others swear by Testors.

What did you use to glue your tubes in? I have had very few problems using 5 min. epoxy. Save the CA glue for finishing wooden pens! YMMV :)

alphageek

Former Moderator
You will get a variety of answers. I have had good luck with generic acrylic paints. The biggest thing that I did wrong at first was rushing to glue in the tube. How long did you let the paint dry before gluing.

(I'm going to assume you used CA glue, but in general it don't matter much. Some will say you MUST epoxy - but I CA glue all the time, and I use acrylic paints so I have a wider variety of colors around w/o resorting to spray paints).

You will get a variety of answers. I have had good luck with generic acrylic paints. The biggest thing that I did wrong at first was rushing to glue in the tube. How long did you let the paint dry before gluing.

(I'm going to assume you used CA glue, but in general it don't matter much. Some will say you MUST epoxy - but I CA glue all the time, and I use acrylic paints so I have a wider variety of colors around w/o resorting to spray paints).

I use Krylon Fusion for plastics paint but what alphageek says about it drying is probably the biggest problem with paint. you need to paint it and forget it until >LATER< the next day.

Justturnin

I use Rustolium (sp?) becasue I already had some and paint the tubes and allow to dry for at least 24 hours. I also reverse paint the blank, I spray the pain on some wax paper and use a Q-Tip or I will just put on a rubber glove and spray right inside it. I stand the tube up so excess will drain out and not collect at the bottom of the hole.

Top Bottom