Problem with Gatsby twist mechanism

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

siric

Hi,

I was showing a Gatsby to a potential customer and they opened it to see how it works. Problem is that they did not pull off the cap but unscrewed it along with the entire mechanism.

While the cap was off they then seemed to have pushed the top down on to the mechanism some more, so now when you try to screw it back it in, it is too short to reach the threads in the body.

I would have thought that the mechanism would have been long enough to ensure that if the cap is pressed all the way on, the threads should still reach on the inside of the tube.

What can I do to (1) remove the mechanism from the cap and (2) prevent this from happening again?

Thanks

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

I have had this same problem with Sierra and Mesa. Looking forward to some help also.

The solution I have come up with to prevent it happening again is to use Loctite on the end of the transmission when assembling the pen

Last edited:

fitzman163

Middletown,PA via The Coal Region,Pittston, PA, US
I had this problem before and it also happened the same way. Some people can't help but to take thing apart. I used a very small pair of needle-nose pliers put the point down inside the mechanism then opened the pliers so they would grab from the inside. You have to be careful not to damage the transmission this may take a little time but you will get it and be able to pull it out and thread it back in properly. I think this happens from over turning the transmission you can replace the refill by unscrewing it but if you over turn when trying to get the refill to come or retract that is when the problem occurs. I hope I explained this OK good luck.

siric

Am wondering if it would make sense to fill the cap with something to prevent the mechanism going in too far?

Whaler

On this style of pen I put a drop of blue LokTite on the end of the transmission prior to pushing the upper and lower sections together. Now you screw it apart to change the refill, this has worked well for me.

RickLong

Am wondering if it would make sense to fill the cap with something to prevent the mechanism going in too far?

I make a little wood "plug" to prevent the transmission for being pushed back to far. A little drop of CA on the end of the plug and pushed to the back of the tube into the cap. It also prevents customer service repairs from the few that are "hard" on their pens when changing refills.

Hope this helps!

Rick

Last edited:

jcm71

When I sell a Gatsby, I demonstrate how to change the refill by unscrewing the nib, caution them about not losing the spring. Insert new refill, screw on nib and voila!

turncrazy43

I also demonstrate how to change the refill and provide a 3 x 5 card with a printed mailing label giving refill changing instructions and pen information such a type, barrel construction and refill type. This has been very helpful for the customers, especially if they are buying the pen as a gift for someone.

Top Bottom