Problem Casting 2 Colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sargmaster

I am sure this question has been asked here, and probably many times but I guess I don't know what words to use in the search. My problem is my colors are separating after I pour them. I wait until right before they start to jell and I pour using dixy cups. I have attached a few samples. The blue and grey looked great through the whole pour process. Even after I was done the top showed both colors and then time set in. Within a few minutes the grey settled and all I could see at the top was the blue. Sure enough when I cut it, colors were separate with just a few lines mixing. The red did the same thing with the exception of the far right one, it came out of the cup already jelling and I thought it was going to be garbage, but it turned out better than the others. The two red finished pens you can see where the colors separate. Can someone please help me with this... By the way, those of you that have posted pictures of your pens... you guys rock. I can never get a good picture of mine.

Edited - By the way, the finished pen on the right I took a piece of wire and mixed it a little in the mold to see if I could stop it from separating... Still separated, but not to happy with the tighter colors. I want big color mix like on the left.

Attachments

• Mold (1 of 1).jpg
    Mold (1 of 1).jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Edge (1 of 1).jpg
    Edge (1 of 1).jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 280
  • Top (1 of 1).jpg
    Top (1 of 1).jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 243
  • Done (1 of 1).jpg
    Done (1 of 1).jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dustygoose

I try to use just enough resin for just 1 or 2 blanks. I wait until they just start to gel up, pour with a twisting action. (vertical molds) then I use a wire bent on the end to give more swirl. I check the gel by seeing how the resin "stacks" on itself.

Hope that helps

Sargmaster

So you are saying to wait for it to actually start jelling? Don't get me wrong, I do wait until it gets real thick, but not jelling yet. I will try that this morning then...

SDB777

Don't guess we could talk you into trying the PVC pip vertical mold way?

Seriously though.

#1: Is this PR or Alumalite?
#2: Dye or mica?
#3: What kind of temps(in the shop) are you casting in?

We'll start there and then move on....

Scott (fun, ain't it) B

Sargmaster

Don't guess we could talk you into trying the PVC pip vertical mold way?

I started off doing the PVC vertical mold but just recently switched over to these molds to see if I have a better chance with success.

Seriously though.

#1: Is this PR or Alumalite?
#2: Dye or mica?
#3: What kind of temps(in the shop) are you casting in?

I am using PR (Douglas & Sturgess Clear Casting Resin), I am using Solid Colered Pigements from US Composites. Temp is 78 inside the shop with 75% hum.

We'll start there and then move on....

I just tried again with red and white, and then another Blue and Grey. Not done at the same time, just poured into the same mold. The red jelled just a bit faster than the white and so did the blue when I did that one. To me I waited too long... It came out of the pixi cup like cheving gum. I continued to pour it with the other color. After I was done, i moved the red around a bit to see if I could get some of the white to mix around it.

I know this can't be the way to do this. I mean the process is right because I read and see it on youtube doen this way, but can't get the colors to stop seperating and mix a little.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out here.

Anthony (It's only the begining of fun) P

Brooks803

It looks like you need to wait a bit longer before pouring. With horizontal molds there's not much room for travel so the odds of having separated colors like that is high. Casting vertically has an advantage over that, but it's not a 100% solution. You can still have separation like that vertically, but if you waited longer it'd be best.

Try and wait till the PR is the consistency of karo syrup before pouring in your mold.

Sargmaster

It looks like you need to wait a bit longer before pouring. With horizontal molds there's not much room for travel so the odds of having separated colors like that is high. Casting vertically has an advantage over that, but it's not a 100% solution. You can still have separation like that vertically, but if you waited longer it'd be best.

Try and wait till the PR is the consistency of karo syrup before pouring in your mold.

Hi Brooks... You sure do get around. You helped me with the colors when I first started this... Great help you are.

As far as this time, I do wait until it is real think... Not thick enough to where it is like gum, but a real thick sirup that I can stop the flow when I start. When it is real thick, there is no stopping it.

I think I will try mixing again, and then this time put it back in the PVC mold and see if that helps. I figured the vertical molds would be harder to deal with.

Edited - Changed the wording that vertical molds would be HARDER to deal with

Last edited:

SDB777

Not familiar with this name, 'Douglas & Sturgess Clear Casting Resin'...is it Simlar 41 Poly? We get ours from illstreet(for now), the resin seems to be pretty 'fresh' and we have great results from it. Mica here comes from many different vendors, mostly Coastal...
Your temps seem to be just about right, we probably have it a little warmer in the shop(but the wife doesn't like being cold), humidity here isn't really known(I have never checked).

You are mostly likely using the 4-5 drops of MEKP per ounce of resin....
Stirring the mix very little, just enough to 'feel' for the thickening up in front of the stir stick....
Pouring both resins in small 'streams' into the mold....
Vertical mold pouring we use a small, thin wire to 'swirl'....
Horizontal mold pouring we try not to 'play' in the resin at all....

I like the Kryo syrup consistency like Brooks has already mentioned.

Scott (shop is warming now) B

Jim Burr

Banned
It almost looks like they aren't mixing enough. Nice separation is color, in other words, the red and white aren't pink. In the horizontal mold the tendency is to under mix the bottom of the mold. Maybe dig down with the popsicle stick and stir that stuff up! On the other side...those are some nice looking blanks!!

crokett

I cast in both vertical PVC and horizontal silicone molds. IMO you are waiting until it is too thick. The colors won't mix if the resin is thick. Also are you using heat? I use a crock pot from Goodwill to do all my pours.

Top Bottom