Princeton Ball Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I just completed two Princeton pens. These came from Woodcraft about a year ago. Nice looking pens, identical to the Berea Virage. After assembly the I find the refills will extend but not retract completely. Thinking I may have made an error in assembly I disassembled them and reviewed the instructions. I sometimes get this "who needs instructions" syndrome. I also reviewed the Virage instructions which were identical to the Princeton instructions. I could not find where I assembled them incorrectly. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you correct it?

Attachments

• 20150319_151207.jpg
    20150319_151207.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 152
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

My guess is that if the refill doesn't fully retract it is because you trimmed the tubes too short when squaring the blank. Most Parker refill kits are sensitive to "too much trim error".

Wade

magpens

I haven't used the Princeton. Never had that problem with the 100-or-so Virages I've made.

Rockytime

My guess is that if the refill doesn't fully retract it is because you trimmed the tubes too short when squaring the blank. Most Parker refill kits are sensitive to "too much trim error".

Wade

I didn't think of that. I'll measure them for sure.. Even the instructions mention that. Nah, thatl never happen to me. I may have just screwed up. Thanks for the info.

Rockytime

I have a conundrum. I measured the barrels. They are both identical. 2.228" long. The spec sheets found in the library call for 2.221". So that seems not to be the problem. Until I find a solution to correct the pens I will just use them as display samples.

Tom T

Perhaps on the one pens the refill is not threaded in as deep. As they do not look the same. (If it uses that type.) The threads are a bit cheap on refills. Not sure about how that pen goes together. If you push the transmission in, it may be pressed in to far.
One time I read on the sight to turn the spring over as one end is some times larger than the other. Trying to help.

Brian G

Another thing to check is the transmission (part D in the instructions). If, during assembly, the twist mechanism pressed further into the lower part of the transmission, then the refill will protrude.

I had this happen with a different kit. I was able to use a transfer punch to "punch out" the twist mechanism and then carefully re-seat it. I measured the amount of brass sticking out in a transmission that I knew worked right, and it fixed the problem.

JimB

I've never made that pen but the problem may be when you slide the transmission over the refill, the refill may not be going all the way into the transmission forcing it to stick out the nib.

Top Bottom