Princess Pens for my Princess

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I made these Princess pens for my granddaughter. Her 6th birthday is on the 21st and I wanted to make her a princess pen before she outgrows this stage.

Lots of firsts for me here - first one-piece pens, first decal/sticker project, first CA finish, and first "save". They are far from perfect and I know where every blemish & flaw are and what to do in the future, but it was a great learning experience and lots of fun. My wife & daughter really like the pens and I can't wait to give them to my granddaughter.

The wood is sycamore - I wanted a light wood with a little grain but not too pronounced. I got the stickers at Hobby Lobby & used 3 coats of decoupage glue over the stickers with a little glitter glue brushed into the first layer of glue. Then a few layers of thin CA followed by 20-30 layers of medium CA. Finish is one-step satin followed by one-step gloss then ren wax - buffing was simply done with a wad of blue shop towel.

Since I was trying so many new techniques, I decided to make 2 pens at once in case I messed one up. For the most part, all went well until the final finishing. I forgot to put a protective tube in the bottom part of the top pen and even though I didn't tighten the tail stock very much, I cracked the wood and the CA finish. I was sickened since all the hard work was already done, but after thinking about it a few days, I cut off about an inch of the bottom part of the pen to get past the damaged part and fashioned a piece of acrylic to replace the damaged part & serve as an extension of the nib.

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_3534.jpg
    IMG_3534.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom