Pricing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hiharry626

hiharry626

Made a curly koa slim for a customer, I messed up drilling the clip end, so it looks crooked, the customer is buying it as a gift for somebody else.. Should I charge 10 or 15?

Attachments

• DSCN6426.jpg
    DSCN6426.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN6428.jpg
    DSCN6428.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN6431.jpg
    DSCN6431.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN6435.jpg
    DSCN6435.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN6436.jpg
    DSCN6436.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hess

I take in the cost of the kit, bank, glue and other. xs by3 just to break even on most sl then charge 5 buck foe me. this alows me to replace the kit + 1 and blank pays for shop use and gives me some jingle. that only on SL anything esle it is what the market will bear

hiharry626

haha, okay pick one 10 or 15? I want to charge under 20 because I am still an apprentice pen turner, this is my 7th pen

toolcrazy

haha, okay pick one 10 or 15? I want to charge under 20 because I am still an apprentice pen turner, this is my 7th pen

One more thing to consider. If you charge them $10 or $15, then your customers will expect all your pens to be that price and you find it hard to raise the prices without them complaining. It doesn't matter if you are new to pen turning.

I agree with above, nothing under $20, in fact I don't charge less than $25 for a slim.

BTW, very nice pen.

Akula

Made a curly koa slim for a customer, I messed up drilling the clip end, so it looks crooked, the customer is buying it as a gift for somebody else.. Should I charge 10 or 15?

Do it over, I would never sell a messed up pen.

I know it suxs because it was KOA but that's not your customers fault.

Mark

I use the X3 method also.

It helps to cover all the little things I forgot to take into consideration.
I never sell a pen I don't feel is worth the money I'm asking. If something about it bothers me, I'll tear it down and correct the problem. That's just me.

hiharry626

One more thing to consider. If you charge them $10 or $15, then your customers will expect all your pens to be that price and you find it hard to raise the prices without them complaining. It doesn't matter if you are new to pen turning.

I agree with above, nothing under $20, in fact I don't charge less than $25 for a slim.

BTW, very nice pen.
Thanks I appreciate it

hiharry626

I will let the customer decide, If she does not like it or mind then i will sell her a different koa pen and just sell this one for 3 dollars

Stick Rounder

Don't ever sell pens that you know don't work, broken, miss glued... whatever. Your name and reputation are forever associated with that pen. If there is something wrong with the pen I either fix it or start over, they never leave my shop. Do not let your experience (or lack there of) dictate the price of the pen. Set a price and stick with it, if you make beautiful functional art, people will see that and will buy it. If not, fine. Don't change the price, and certainly don't let the customer decide and don't sell junk. Don't even give away junk.

Andrew Arndts

Personally,
Do another one and give that one to someone else. If you know is it messed up. well lets say it is bad muju to sell it.

ldb2000

Personally,
Do another one and give that one to someone else. If you know is it messed up. well lets say it is bad muju to sell it.

I agree, do another , but keep that one to remind yourself of your mistake . Also never admit to a potential customer that you made a mistake , remember your reputation is on the line .

Do yourself a favor, NOW! do not sell it, tear it down and redo it or donate it, but dont tell your customer it is messed up and you want her to pay for it!
One of my favorite sayings is..." If you have the time to do it over, you had time to do it right the first time."
Tell your customer you had a mishap and have to redo it and it may be late for the event, that will go a long way in your best practices column.

I will let the customer decide, If she does not like it or mind then i will sell her a different koa pen and just sell this one for 3 dollars

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Don't ever sell pens that you know don't work, broken, miss glued... whatever. Your name and reputation are forever associated with that pen. If there is something wrong with the pen I either fix it or start over, they never leave my shop. Do not let your experience (or lack there of) dictate the price of the pen. Set a price and stick with it, if you make beautiful functional art, people will see that and will buy it. If not, fine. Don't change the price, and certainly don't let the customer decide and don't sell junk. Don't even give away junk.
Excellent advice, and my sentiments exactly!

aggromere

I agreee, don't let a bad pen out the door. If you wanted you could tell your friend your pens are normally X, but for him you are only going to charge $20.00 to cover your cost. Ask him to show it around to everyone but tell them I charge $x for them.

Top Bottom