preventative

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

News reporter: " The victim was shot in the parking lot and......"

I don't have any part on my body called "parking lot"!

How about: "The victim was shot while in the parking lot and......"

My favorite was "The man was wounded in the fracas."

sbwertz

My pet peeve is the use of all the anagrams/initials for things... especially the ailments they are trying to sell medication for... when reading and I run across one I don't know or remember it stops my reading until I find out what they're talking about.

acronym, not anagram. An anagram is a puzzle where you have to rearrange the letters to spell a word. An acronym is the use of initials in place of a word.

sbwertz

I'm a complete grammar libertarian. So long as I understand what you mean, it's all good.

So long as the meaning is clear, I could (sic) care less if somebody uses "preventative", "pre-drill", "nauseous" or "champing" and Faulkner is still free to have Dewey Dell say "me and Lafe was picking on down the row". That's how people talk and how language evolves. There's too many real problems to let these become pet peeves or bother me. It seems to me that most guardians of grammar believe that language is permanently fixed, usually at precisely where it was when they began to learn grammar in the third grade

As I Lay Dying is my favorite Faulkner novel. Glad to see someone else who appreciates it.

Top Bottom