Pressure pot UK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Celt40

As you can see i live in the UK. Over here there is nowhere to buy, or is hard to find a pot that can be adapted to use for pressure casting, no HF stores!!!!! I am sure that i will not be the only Brit that feels they would like to have a go at casting under pressure, but don't know where to start.

Is there someone who could explain in detail what alterations are needed to be done to convert a paint pressure pot into a usable pot for casting resin under pressure.
It will have to be spelled out very simply ( an idiot's guide ) as i have never worked with anything pressured before. I will also need to learn what i need to buy to create the pressure for my pot. Remembering that what is easly available in the USA is not as easy to find here in the UK.

It would be helpfull if you could search UK websites and track down the items needed to convert and pressure the project.

I understand that this is quite an ask, but it would help your fellow penmakers in the UK that would like to have a go at casting under pressure.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Hi,

I now that Axminster Uk sell a paint pot that is very similar to the pots the guys use in the USA form HF. You may have to contact them to though, as they sell it as a set including pipes and sprays guns, but the tend to sell spares separately so you may be able to get the pit on its own. They might not be the cheapest but are a reliable company!

The also sell air compressors which you will need, but piping and valves I would assume would be purchased form any plumbers or builders merchants?

PHIL

UKpenmaker

Hi Dermot,
Phil is correct you can buy one from Axminster, this is where i got mine from, but you will need to ring them up as it is not listed in there catalogue and is classed as a spare part.

I can't remember the code number off hand, but i think it cost me around £30 about 18 months ago.

Celt40

Thanks.
What convertions will need to be done with pot from axminster? And what do you use to give you the pressure and most importantly the cost.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Dermott, the pot comes with a pressure relief valve which you really must keep and leave alone. You may want to get a vacuum/pressure gauge and a couple of quick connectors. These are reasonably cheap and you can get them from ScrewFix etc. Just get them to match the ones on your vac / compressor.
Search this site and you will find dozens of pics of how folks have set up their pots. I'm sure one will suit you. But I could send you some pics of how mine is set up if you want.

The ONLY mod you must do to the pot is remove the pipe from below the lid.

ABL Stevens is a good source for all the variants of PR and epoxies.
They have all the pigments, pearls etc. They have some good tutorials on their site too.

philb

Any chance you could send me some pics o your setup too skip? I thought you got all your PR and casts from PR-princess!

Dermott, the pot comes with a pressure relief valve which you really must keep and leave alone. You may want to get a vacuum/pressure gauge and a couple of quick connectors. These are reasonably cheap and you can get them from ScrewFix etc. Just get them to match the ones on your vac / compressor.
Search this site and you will find dozens of pics of how folks have set up their pots. I'm sure one will suit you. But I could send you some pics of how mine is set up if you want.

The ONLY mod you must do to the pot is remove the pipe from below the lid.

ABL Stevens is a good source for all the variants of PR and epoxies.
They have all the pigments, pearls etc. They have some good tutorials on their site too.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Any chance you could send me some pics o your setup too skip? I thought you got all your PR and casts from PR-princess!

I do get all my PR from PR Princess. My pot pretty much collects dust, but I still dabble now and then.:biggrin:

My email is down at the moment, if it's back tomorrow then I'll send the pics. Alternately, shoot Andy an email. He has (had) pics of mine from some time back.

Celt40

Thanks Skip, I would like to see your pictures. Anything that will help. What size of compressor will i need and will i get one at Axminster as well.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sure, if you have money to burn, you could get a compressor from Axminster. But if you want to save some money to buy resins etc then just get one from Machine Mart. I got mine from Aldi :wink:( or Lidl ) It is 24 litre.

Top Bottom