Pressure pot advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

Ok, I just returned my third HF pressure pot.:frown: None of them, not one, would hold pressure above 20 psi. The one that held to 20psi only held it for 3 minutes.:mad:

I have tried WD40 on the seals. I have tried putting soft silicon under the seal. I have tried making new seals. I have taken off all the hardware that came with the pots and replaced them with high quality brass and wrapped teflon tape around each connection 4+ times. I have marked the tops so as to put the top back on the same way each time. I have rotated the tops to see if that made any difference. AAAARGHHH!!! I give up on HF.

Are there any other REASONABLY priced (sub $250) pressure pots out there that will definitely hold pressure and vacuum?:confused::confused:

Does anyone else on this forum use anything other than HF pressure pots?:confused::confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I remember a thread on here just a few weeks ago where this issue was discussed. There was an answer to fixing it, I remember the example was related to getting a tire to stay on the rim. Had to pump air in and keep doing it until the gasket seat properly. Wish I could find the thread.

Padre

Yeah, that was my thread too.:frown: I tried that too, and I have a hefty compressor too. That didn't work.

I remember a thread on here just a few weeks ago where this issue was discussed. There was an answer to fixing it, I remember the example was related to getting a tire to stay on the rim. Had to pump air in and keep doing it until the gasket seat properly. Wish I could find the thread.

Pepsi

It could be as simple as taking the gasket out and turning it over turn the pot upside
down and then put about an inch of water in it.Turn the upside down and then fill it with air. I know it sounds crazy but it works. I had to do this to mine and it has never
leaked since.
Al

Padre

It could be as simple as taking the gasket out and turning it over turn the pot upside
down and then put about an inch of water in it.Turn the upside down and then fill it with air. I know it sounds crazy but it works. I had to do this to mine and it has never
leaked since.
Al

Al,
I did this, and i also did it with vacuum. I really, really tried, but it just wasn't meant to be I guess. At least they know me at HF now! :rolleyes:

Which model of paint pressure pot was it? The one with the threaded bulkheads that thread together on either side of the lid? or the new model welded one?

Did you spray the lid and fittings with soapy water to determine where the leak was? Or was it the lid gasket?

1080Wayne

When I had that problem , it was due to a porous regulator casting . Took it apart and sealed it with medium CA . If you can`t feel the leak with the moist back of your hand , soapy water will show very slow leaks .

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Mine was crap as yours was until I flpped the gasket and put it under 29" of vaccum for 3 days. Marked the lid for alignment and now it hold around 50 lbs for 20 hours or so and then slowly levels out about 35lbs, but the deal is done by then so I figured that was OK. I did have a faulty fitting at first but you said you replaced everything so that may not be your issue, I also put a bit of silicone greae on the seal before I clamp it down. Not sure if it helps but I figured it won't hurt. If this goes to crap I'll likely sopend the buxx on a better pot.

Padre

This was the new pot model. I guess to get what I want, I need to upgrade in quality.

I am not always a believer in "price=quality" because I have plenty of tools that belie that equation. Just not in this case.:redface:

Top Bottom