Pressure and Molds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

They are the ones with the plugs in the end right?? Mine are the first ones that came out and I have never used them with pressure and I am worried that the pressure will push the resin into the tube.
Lin

longbeard

Yep, they use the plugs thru the sides to plug the tube.
I can post a pic of the molds i have in just a bit, little busy right at the moment.

Harry

lorbay

Yep, they use the plugs thru the sides to plug the tube.
I can post a pic of the molds i have in just a bit, little busy right at the moment.

Harry

Harry it's ok I know what they look like, it's not going to help me. I would like to see some others using the same Molds as me.
Lin

Hi Lin I have the resin saver mold and have used pressure although not very successfully. I have a 4 cavity mold, gent, jr, Nuevo and Sierra. The Sierra and the jr work okay upto 40psi the gent leaks at any pressure and the Nuevo plug pulled off one end so I don't use it anymore. I bought some of the mold PtownSubbie sells and don't really use the resin saver anymore.

Mike

Kenny Durrant

I've never used the molds you're talking about so I don't know if this is possible or not. I drill holes in the plugs so that the pressure can equalize in the tube and leaking will not be such a problem. Like I said I'm not familiar with your mold so I don't know if this is possible without ruining the mold. Good Luck.

Marko50

Lin, I always use pressure, though nothing above 20-25 psi., there's no need to if you pay attention to your open time. I also only use Fred Wissens molds at PTownsubbie.com. Any problems are always my own "self-induced" ones.

lorbay

Lin, I always use pressure, though nothing above 20-25 psi., there's no need to if you pay attention to your open time. I also only use Fred Wissens molds at PTownsubbie.com. Any problems are always my own "self-induced" ones.

Thanks, as said above I don't have these Molds, mine have the built in plugs and they don't fit that tight. Using the ones from Fred I think is the best way to go if using pressure. I guess I will have to go back to the bubbles free casting style if I want to use these Molds I have. Hey anyone want to trade for the PTownsubbie Molds. Lol
Lin

Curly

Lin some will take more pressure than others. I suggest you place tubes in the moulds, fill them with water and place them in your pressure pot. Apply 5 pounds of pressure for a while, remove, carefully drain the water from the mould without twisting or flexing them and then see if there is water inside the tubes. Repeat with 5 pounds more pressure each time until you find water inside the tubes. That will give you some idea how much pressure to use with the resin and go from there.

lorbay

Lin some will take more pressure than others. I suggest you place tubes in the moulds, fill them with water and place them in your pressure pot. Apply 5 pounds of pressure for a while, remove, carefully drain the water from the mould without twisting or flexing them and then see if there is water inside the tubes. Repeat with 5 pounds more pressure each time until you find water inside the tubes. That will give you some idea how much pressure to use with the resin and go from there.

Thanks Pete I will give that a try.
Lin

Top Bottom