Preferred source for shaving kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbswearingen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

For "stand alone" razors I like the Berea hardware. It is available at many IAP vendor sites, as well as Berea Hardwoods. From first-hand experience,'"skip" the 14k gold finishes-as they don't "weather" very well. If a gold finish is a must, upgrade to the TN gold.

For sets, I perfer the PSI products. The deluxe stand has a better look and feel than the Berea stand. The PSI razor hardware is smaller, eliminating the ability to "mix and match" between PSI and Berea.

The silver tipped AAA+ badger brush from PSI is the best quality I have found (I've tried all known sources). Of course at $23 it SHOULD BE the best.

jbswearingen

Thanks. For now, I'm thinking about trying out the razor alone; maybe add the brush and stand later. I'm thinking to do it in both wood and PR for the two different types of shavers...those that use the sink (not much water spilling) and those like me that shave in the shower.

PenMan1

Brad:
If you make wood razors for sale, make sure the customer know that the handle CANNOT get wet. Regardless of how well you finish the exterior and ends, the design of the "screw in" razor head allows water to leak into the hollow tube.

This trapped water, in turn, causes a CA finish to "ghost".

DAMHIKT!

Last edited:

GoodTurns

Brad:
If you make wood razors for sale, make sure the customer know that the handle CANNOT get wet. Regardless of how well you finish the exterior and ends, the design of the "screw in" razor head allows water to leak into the hollow tube.

DAMHIKT!

I'm the only one who has to know that it is a screw in head....epoxy those threads and no leaks inside!

PS: Brad...you shoulda said something Monday! got all that stuff too!

Last edited:

jbswearingen

Brad:

DAMHIKT!

Brad:

DAMHIKT!

I'm the only one who has to know that it is a screw in head....epoxy those threads and no leaks inside!

PS: Brad...you shoulda said something Monday! got all that stuff too!

Thanks for the warning and then thanks for a way to avoid it! Jon, maybe next time I come over to pilfer through your stuff?

:biggrin:

PenMan1

Great tip, Jon!

I have been using "waterproof" Loctite, but it still let's water in. It only takes seconds to epoxy the threads and the joints!

Last edited:
Top Bottom