Preferred Glue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Greg Haugen

Other than CA or epoxy, what glue to do you prefer for gluing tubes? I used to have Sumo Glue by Loctite and loved it. However, now that my stash of it has run out, I'm finding out they've discontinued it. I liked Sumo because it didn't effect the painted tubes or any thing else and it foam just enough to make a complete bond. So I'm curious as to what you prefer, other than CA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wright

Greg, you just ruled me out. I really don't know any other adhesive on the market that would be better to glue in tubes. I use both CA and epoxy and neither has ever failed me. Is there some reason you would not rather use either of those adhesives?

TerryDowning

Greg, you just ruled me out. I really don't know any other adhesive on the market that would be better to glue in tubes. I use both CA and epoxy and neither has ever failed me. Is there some reason you would not rather use either of those adhesives?

+ 1 for me.

Greg Haugen

I've had some issues in the past with glued tubes and the CA reacting with it by dissolving it causing the tube to show. For gluing, I prefer not to use epoxy mainly because when gluing a quantity of kits either have too little or wasting it and having too much mixed up. I'd prefer a single part, not 2-part glue. I know some use Gorilla glue, but the standard foams quite a bit, more than Sumo. I've seen some other urethane glues from Elmers and other makers, just curious if anyone have used them.

Last edited:

Katya

I use regular gorilla glue on wood blanks, dunking them in water first. It provides a more flexible bond, good since wood continually expands/contracts. I use epoxy for pretty much everything else. I'm a bit more conservative and like to let all glue cure overnight before turning.

Catherine

Katya

Your latest note must have come in while I was typing<g>. I see that gorilla glue doesn't suit. I'd be interested in hearing about the other glues you mention, too.

I use Gorilla glue when I feel the fit of the tube in the blank is a bit loose. I love that it expands but sometimes it pushes my tubes out, so now I clamp the ends of my tubes. I like epoxy when the fitting is a bit more tight. I prefer the 2 bottled stuff rather than the syringe type. I feel I got more control over the quantities I'm using. And lastly CA when I really really need to start turning right away.

I use the 5 minute 2 part epoxy that woodcraft and several other retailers sell, it has been the best I have tried. I can glue in the tube and turn in 20 minutes.

OOPS

Sad to hear about Sumo, as its my favorite too. However, Lock Tite makes a poly glue as well. Rockwell also sells a kind of poly glue, but I haven't tried it. My favorite was Sumo because its viscosity made it stick to the tube, instead of running off the tube.

So many people have complained that Gorilla Glue is excessively foamy, and pushes tubes out of the blanks. Sumo never caused this problem.

alamocdc

You left me out with your exclusion as well. I've tried polyurethane glue (Gorilla) and didn't care for the mess. I do use it in my flatwork (furniture, etc.) but not for pens. Tried CA for tubes too. ALWAYS stuck before they were in place... and I mean always (and no, I'm not that slow, Ed). I guess you know what that leaves.:wink:

tool-man

You might check out Elmer's Glue-All Max. A polyurethane but less foaming that others, less viscous, and somewhat better shelf life. Cleanup is still a mess just like all polyurethanes.:biggrin:

Top Bottom