PR too hot?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan

I just spent a bunch of money so that I can now make my own PR blanks. I bought every nice color I could find. I live near the www.artstuf.com warehouse. I guess I don't start anything on a small scale! I read an article on the site that said to use the Dixie brand cups to mix colors but when I did, the stuff melted through the bottom where the plastic was really thin. I'd like to keep two or more colors seperate until they gel, then add them to the mold. What can I use, or what am I doing wrong, that might be the best question to ask :D. Thanks

Johnathan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I haven't used the paper cups; I'm always afraid they will saturate the bottom the way water does if you leave them in place for any length of time. I use plastic highball glasses I got from the grocery store to do my mixing, and haven't had any problems.

its_virgil

For casting my snakeskins I'm down to 5 drops per ounce and it turns like a dream...I use the the plastic cups from the dollar store (dixie knowk offs) and they work fine. Keeping the PR in the cups until it starts to jell may be why the cups melted....heat. After pouring the PR into the mold and about 30 minutes later, my discarded cups have melted into a pile. In the article you read (I think) the cup mentioned was 'High Ball' cups which are the rigid plastic cups, wider at the top than at the bottom, not the softer plastic cups like we see in bathroom dispensers. Hope this helps.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Yep, too much catalyst. I did this once because I miscalculated. [B)] However, the resin was still turnable, I just had to be careful.

mick

I've had very good luck with 3-4 drops of catalyst per oz. but then I only cast on warm days. Since I cast outside I've stopped until this pesky cold weather is over.....lol

Draken

I'm also in the neighborhood of 4-5 drops per ounce, and I too only cast when it is warm, so I don't stink up the house. I use paper cups, and so far, no problems after 1/2 gallon of PR cast.

Why do you want it to gel in the cup first? Is that so the colors won't mix when poured together? I did a two color pour back in Sept. when it was warm, and got good results without waiting for it to gel. Here's a photo from my album:

I just mixed up both colors at once, one per hand, and poured at the same time. If you pour one, then wait to pour the second, you'll get more distinct separation lines like the Red/White/Blue pen from JimGo's album.

Now for it to just warm up enough to cast some more....

Cheers,
Draken

Johnathan

I have been wanting it to get to the gel state so that the colors don't seperate in the mold. One mold I made I had a layered effect, it was nice, but not what I was looking for. Thank you all for your help.

its_virgil

Oh you unlucky souls. My shop has it own central HVAC. I work in shorts and t-shirt year round....Is this the gloat forum?
Do a good turn daily!
don
Originally posted by mick
<br />I've had very good luck with 3-4 drops of catalyst per oz. but then I only cast on warm days. Since I cast outside I've stopped until this pesky cold weather is over.....lol

bobaltig

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Oh you unlucky souls. My shop has it own central HVAC. I work in shorts and t-shirt year round....Is this the gloat forum?
Do a good turn daily!
don

Shorts? Gloat? I've seen your legs Don. Thanks for the laugh.

Bob A

its_virgil

It hasen't this winter. I live in N Texas and it can get cold...I mostly use the AC part, especially when it is 110 in mid July. Just looked....25 this morning.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by TomServo
<br />Don: I wasn't aware it got cold enough to need a heater in texas... -6 here right now, not bad at all :)

its_virgil

Darn Bob, now everyone knows I have legs that only a mother could love.[:D]
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by bobaltig
<br />
<br />Oh you unlucky souls. My shop has it own central HVAC. I work in shorts and t-shirt year round....Is this the gloat forum?
Do a good turn daily!
don

Shorts? Gloat? I've seen your legs Don. Thanks for the laugh.

Bob A

jpick22

Johnathan -

Your first major "what you're doing" problem, if your description is accurate, is that you don't wait until the individual colors "GEL" and then pour the colors into the mold. How do you even do that? You make your pour, right after your catylist is thoroughly mixed.

In a 9-oz. mold, 5 drops of catylist is usually perfect for each ounce of resin.

Jay

Draken

Do a good turn daily!
don

Oh, I could easily do the casting in my basement where my shop is, but my wife, and my 20 month old daughter object to the stench put off by the PR as it cures, so for a peaceful family live and to avoid any potential health issues breathing in the vapors, I choose to cast outside when it is warm. [;)]

Cheers,
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom