PR Princess Strikes Again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from IPD_Mrs

IPD_Mrs

We wanted to show off PR Princess' handy work on a couple of blanks we got from her after we saw them at the Chicago show.

20087424250_PRP-PauShell.jpg

20087424317_fordawn.jpg

Thanks Dawn! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darley

Very nice mike great pens but I like most the Jr Statesman, those green, blue and black swirles are great, I waiting for some pen kits and sure will contact PR Princess for some special blanks

hilltopper46

Nice work on both pens.

I've seen the blank for the Sierra, and I daresay that if you could see both these pens in natural light that the Sierra would take your breath away. Those are round glass rods embedded in the PR, and the effect in person is quite different than the 2-dimension photo shows.

How did it turn?

OKLAHOMAN

Mike, both are great examples of the collaboration of you and the Princess, How was the Dichroic glass to turn? I guess its a little close at the nib, it that te reason for the Sierra Vista?

IPD_Mrs

Sorry folks I was in a rush when I posted these last night, here is a little more information.....

The Statesman is Pau shell that is glues to the tubes then cast in clear resin. The resin turns like any other, your main concern is the milling of the ends and pressing the kit into the tubes.

Roy the Dicromic was fine to turn. It is on a Vista as the Sierra turns down too thin to support the rods and you would most likely end up turning or sanding into the rods. The thing that was scary to me was milling the ends. I was afraid that while flushing everything up to the tube ends that the mill would catch and I could just see this glass rod shattering inside the resin.

Really the turning is easy, much like any other resin. The hard part was all on Princess as she worked hard to get it free of air bubbles.

Mike

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The princess is working on getting out the wood for Keith and our internet connection is disconnecting every five minutes or so, so our absence is NOT to make your hearts grow fonder, it is, instead a necessity of technology[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

The top one is blue dyed paua shell. She will have this available for sale soon (If that's an ad, so be it.)

The Dichro glass rods are about a millimeter in diameter, thus adding 2 mm to the diameter, when put on the tubes. Hence, the Sierra vista is the only pen that will work, without adding "ooops rings". When and if this becomes available (it has challenged some who have experimented), it will be sold on a "if you think you can do it, great!!" basis.

Hope this answers the questions and we will be around, just don't know when our internet connection will allow us to communicate!!

Happy Fourth, everyone!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike's post was not visible, when I started, so here is just a little more:

"Dichroic" is the proper term. Means two color. Glass reflects different colors when viewed from differing angles.

And, yes, the bubble problem has been a killer. Dawn is now getting MUCH better results on her snakeskins (THANK YOU Don Ward!!!) and we hope the techniques will transfer to the glass rods. Soon, a kitchen full of rattlers and other snakes will be made available. (Yes, another ad)

Thanks to all for your interest, as always, PM Dawn or me for more info. IF we don't get back to you right away, we will as soon as our internet connection can HOLD a connection for more than a few moments.[:0][:0]

bitshird

Nice work, the Paua is beautiful, too bad the Dichroic is so limited by it's size, I think I'd have trouble getting my drawers off after turning the Dichroic[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

Top Bottom