PR catalyst question..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tclements

I went to Michael's and bought some clear polyester casting resin. For some reason they sell the catalyst separately, however they were sold out of the catalyst. So my question is will a catalyst for fiberglass resin work the same? My closest Michael's store is 3 hours away and I won't be going back any time soon. Any knowledge will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

You can buy it online, but it may be pricey when you add shipping. The product is called MEKP.

EDIT: and ignore the instructions. For pen blanks I use 4 drops per ounce.

Last edited:

its_virgil

Hobby Lobby in your vicinity?
Don

I went to Michael's and bought some clear polyester casting resin. For some reason they sell the catalyst separately, however they were sold out of the catalyst. So my question is will a catalyst for fiberglass resin work the same? My closest Michael's store is 3 hours away and I won't be going back any time soon. Any knowledge will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

BSea

I'm pretty sure Hobby Lobby sells the MEKP with the resin, not separate.
Hobby Lobby in your vicinity?
Don

PSNCO

Step 1: Order the 1 gallon size of Kast-a-Blank for $50 (and FREE shipping). It comes with 1oz of MEKP.

Step 2: Return that small jug of Castin Craft to Michaels the next time you're near one. (You paid about 3x-4X too much for Polyester resin that is probably really old.)

By the time you get that MEKP, you'll pay $30 for a pint or $40 for a quart. A gallon from woodsnwhimsies is $50

mmyshrall

See if anyone carries Inlace products in your area. Their activator is MEKP and my local Woodcraft sells it separately.

Also, Lowes carries Bondo Fiberglass Resin Liquid Hardener at some stores, it is MEKP.

Then, there's always Amazon...

Michael

MikeinSC

I've used MEKP packed and sold for Bondo without issue.
Found it at Walmart??

Top Bottom