PR /CASTING OF CACTUS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

OKLAHOMAN

In the last week I have had a few emails inquring about the cactus pen I showed last week asking if I used epoxy or PR. I used PR and had only cast one blank at a time. This morning I cast 4 at a time in a tupperware type container whick was divided in the middle and used a paint stirer to sub divide to make 4 blanks each blank being 5 7/8 in long x 1 1/2 wide x 1 1/2 deep. My thinking that each blank could be then divided to make one large pen and one slim or 4 slim lines. The 2 blanks at the end are slightly larger. My next pour will be in the same type container w/o the dividers and than cutting the blank to size.

2006822164324_DSCF0022.jpg

2006822164621_DSCF0020.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrplace

Are the catus I see growing all over the Rio Grande Valley the right kind of catus to get the skeletons from? Hate to get all stucked up and then have the wrong kind[B)].

OKLAHOMAN

Originally posted by mrplace
<br />Are the catus I see growing all over the Rio Grande Valley the right kind of catus to get the skeletons from? Hate to get all stucked up and then have the wrong kind[B)].

200682221133_PRICKLEY.jpg
<br />IF THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE SEEING YES!!!!!!!!!!!

74cuda

Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN
<br />In the last week I have had a few emails inquring about the cactus pen I showed last week asking if I used epoxy or PR. I used PR and had only cast one blank at a time. This morning I cast 4 at a time in a tupperware type container whick was divided in the middle and used a paint stirer to sub divide to make 4 blanks each blank being 5 7/8 in long x 1 1/2 wide x 1 1/2 deep. My thinking that each blank could be then divided to make one large pen and one slim or 4 slim lines. The 2 blanks at the end are slightly larger. My next pour will be in the same type container w/o the dividers and than cutting the blank to size.

<br />

How did the single pour( no divider)go?

terrymiller

Hey Billy you can check with some of the local greenhouses for clippings or check with the local Lonestar or Texas steakhouse they usually have them growing out front.

myname1960

Originally posted by PenTurnerJohn
<br />Roy,

Nice work on the castings. I want to try this myself. Any hints on how to get the nice skeletons from the cactus? Is there already a tutorial on this?

Roy there is a nice tutorial on the homepage named "cactus blanks" which shows removing the skeleton from the skin. Doesnt look pretty either. [xx(]

Hope that helps ya.

OKLAHOMAN

MESSY? NOT FOR ME [:D][:D]I JUST LET DARIO DO THE DIRTY WORK FOR ME![}:)]I JUST HAD TO DARIO, SORRY LOL!!! RUSS IN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT THE SINGLE CASTING ,I'VE NOW CAST ABOUT ENOUGH FOR 12-15 BLANKS AND ITS WORKING OUT GREAT. I PLAN TO TURN SOME THIS WEEK END AND I'LL POST SOME PHOTOS. IN ANSWERE TO THE QUESTION ABOUT THE SIZE I'M CASTING 1 IN. THICK X 6 IN. SQUARE. DARIO BTW I TRIED DYEING THE CACTUS BLACK DON'T TRY IT. SEEMS THE SKELETONS DO NOT ABSORB THE DYEquote]Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by PenTurnerJohn
<br />it does seem to be a bit messy in the preparation.

I think "messy" is an understatement [;)][xx(]
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom