Powder Prices

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

I was looking at embossing powders the other day at Meier's. Close to $2.00 for a small bottle (Around an ounce I'd say -I don't remember exactly). Hope a little goes a long way at those prices. Is this about the average price folks pay for "filler" or "accent" powders for their pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Yes, That is a fair price for most pearl powders. A little goes a long way. Although I think that you can get the white pearl powder at www.artstuf.com for less. I use the pearl powder that comes from the soap making department at Micheals or Hobby Lobby. Actually I think that maybe it runs even more $. I got mine on sale.You are possibly are refering to the set of 12 pearl powders? If you want to get just one to try the white pearl is the most versital and then you are not into it for $24.00 for the 12. I have used pearl powders for years in wedding cake disign and those are edible and run usually $3 to $4 for the same amount and up to $10.00 for some! Good Luck!

its_virgil

I've used the embossing powders sold by Hobby Lobby for filler in pens. Their turquoise color is almost the same color as the crushed stone at a fraction of th cost. I glue it in with CA before final turning and turn and sand. It does a nice job for me.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />I was looking at embossing powders the other day at Meier's. Close to $2.00 for a small bottle (Around an ounce I'd say -I don't remember exactly). Hope a little goes a long way at those prices. Is this about the average price folks pay for "filler" or "accent" powders for their pens?

elody21

I think I need to claify something. I thought you were refering to the powder that you use in cast acrylic! Embossing powder and pearl dust are two different things. I had never heard of using Embossing powder as Don states in the last message. That is a good idea! The pearl dust I was refering to is used for casting your own resin pen blanks not for filling. Sorry if I got your meaning mixed up

low_48

From what I've seen on HGTV it's main use is with the rubber stamp crowd. They stamp on paper and sprinkle the embossing powder on the wet liquid. Can't remember want the material is that is used on the rubber stamp. The powder sticks to the freshly stamped liquid. They use a hair blow dryer to warm the embossing powder and it melts. This now leaves a glossy 3D effect.

Rich

tipusnr

I was also thinking about maybe using powdered paints, like tempura, the thin CA would either seal the powder into a solid or dissolve it as the water does. Either way it could be interesting and comes in a wide variety of colors. (Not that I ever hope to have THAT many voids to fill!)

Gary

It is absolutely amazing the things you can learn here. Prior to a few minutes ago, I had never heard of embossing powder and didn't have a clue as to what it was. We certainly have a knowledgable bunch here.

Fred in NC

Thank you, Rich. That is what I thought.

I worked in the printing industry for over 20 yrs, and we used embossing powder for business cards, letterheads, etc. The embossing powder is WAX based. It is sprinkled on the sheet, and sticks only to the wet ink. Then the surplus powder is sucked away. Heat melts the powder, and creates a relief, which is wrongly called embossing. Real embossing actually raises the paper and no wax is used.

So, those using embossing powder for filling in voids are actually using WAX ? Tell me I am wrong !!!

elody21

It could be some form of wax but when it is melted it feels more like plastic.

elody21

I have never tried it before for filling. I have some I used to use for it's intended purpose on paper with embossing liquid and an embossing pad. When I find it I am going to give it a try!
It also comes in metallic colors.

its_virgil

Embossing powder that I use for inlay is used by the scrapbookers and they sprinkle it over the scrapbook and heat it with hot air and it melts. I use the parting tool (one example) to cut a groove around a pen and sprinkle in the powder and drop thin CA to glue it in place. Finish turning and sanding and you have a nice accent ring around a pen. I have used it in voids that show up in some burls. The powder comes in many, many colors.

To color polyester resin I have used just about every kind of colorant and the best I've used is the stuff sold for PR. But, dry artists pigments(the actual powdered minerals) work as does dry tempra powder. Some may have good luck with universal colorant or acrylic but I did not. Sorry if I caused confusion.

I suppose embossing powder could be used in PR...I've used the brass dust from the local hardware key making machine....I've used sawdust from the bandsaw....I know one person who used colored rice in the PR....see the PR/rice pen at
http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/hertzogk/hertzogk01.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Darley

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Embossing powder that I use for inlay is used by the scrapbookers and they sprinkle it over the scrapbook and heat it with hot air and it melts. I use the parting tool (one example) to cut a groove around a pen and sprinkle in the powder and drop thin CA to glue it in place. Finish turning and sanding and you have a nice accent ring around a pen. I have used it in voids that show up in some burls. The powder comes in many, many colors.

To color polyester resin I have used just about every kind of colorant and the best I've used is the stuff sold for PR. But, dry artists pigments(the actual powdered minerals) work as does dry tempra powder. Some may have good luck with universal colorant or acrylic but I did not. Sorry if I caused confusion.

I suppose embossing powder could be used in PR...I've used the brass dust from the local hardware key making machine....I've used sawdust from the bandsaw....I know one person who used colored rice in the PR....see the PR/rice pen at
http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/hertzogk/hertzogk01.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don

This a nice pen Don never though about casting rice in PR we will never stop to learn do we.

Serge

tipusnr

Not a recent wedding!!! We aren't allowed to use rice anymore....kept blowing up the pigeons when they drank!!! (So much for entertainment at the reception!)

its_virgil

I don't know why Kurt made the rice pen. I think he was casting some blanks and his daughter was doing some project with colored rice and the idea hit him to put some in one of the castings. It did turn out nice, didn't it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Wedding pen/memento ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom