Powder Metal Pen Blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonF

George, you said "The ONLY downside I see is that being metal, will conflict with the metal parts in most kits used so design selection will be critical to pull off a really stunning pen."

Does the material seem to have the strength to have the nib turned from it? For eexample, if you turned a Designer pen could you just use the brass tube inserted in the bottom part, turn a "closed ended" style bottom and then drill a small hole for the refill to extend/retract through?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txcwboy

JasonF- "it won't cause electrolysis when it is combined with dissimilar metals" so it shouldnt conflict with metal parts in the kits.

Dave

broitblat

I look forward to trying out the M3 some day (when cash flow is right :)). While I can see the difference between this and real Mokume Gane, I think the M3 is nonetheless attractive in it's own right.

-Barry

JasonF

Originally posted by txcwboy

JasonF- "it won't cause electrolysis when it is combined with dissimilar metals" so it shouldnt conflict with metal parts in the kits.

Dave

Let me ask the question a different way. I believe this is correct: Russ Fairfield has a Slimline modification where he uses the nib from a Slimeline kit somehow inserted into the wood/acrylic on the bottom barrel. I think when he first posted this modification he said that the nib from the kit was used/needed to add strength. When you look at the finished pen it looks like a closed end pen on the bottom with the refill extending/retracting through a small hole.

I was wondering if the high metal content in this material makes it a stronger material. My thought being that a one piece "custom nib shape" bottom could be created without having to use a metal nib from a kit.

Do you think this material is strong enough to do this?

Thanks.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
This has got to be one of the best threads for a long time. Esp as Mike has come on board to advocate his products. I can't wait to see the Damascus when it comes.
Mike, will you ship to the UK ( or anywhere else for that matter )?

I don't know if you (Mike) are familiar with TruStone, if so is your product tougher? You said it will support the nib, but could the nib be made from it too?
Finally, does the material come in blocks or in the round?

I must say though that I'm amazed that a material that is 95% metal, is not electrically conductive.

I hope you do well and thanks for offering us a cool discount too:D

MHKogan

Yes, we will ship anywhere in the World as long as the customer is willing to pay for the shipping.

Yes, the nib can be made from M3. Look at this photo of a one piece pen where the nib and the clip are incorporated into the body of the pen.

2007121120733_IAP.jpg

Texatdurango

Originally posted by txcwboy

Dave

Dave, What I meant by clashing with the kit metal parts was the metal blank itself not matching the various platings of the kits.

Some will just slap on any old blank on any ole kit, but to do the silver/copper color of the M3 mokume blank justice, one needs to find just the right plating so the pen shows its best attributes.

It will be harder matching up kit platings with the solid color m3 blanks. I have yet to turn the nickel silver Mike sent me to evaluate because I want to marry it to just the right plating on my kit.

Sadly, I am now hundreds of miles from home and will be even farther away tomorrow so won't be able to finish the pen for at least a month.

OKLAHOMAN

3 Days before Mike joined the forum and offered his group buy I had ordered 2 of the M3 blanks in the Mokume-gane against my better judgement but I had conversed with a few members via private E-mails and thought I needed to try them before bashing them anymore. Today I recived thru-ebay email from Mike that my blanks were not shipped yet because of the overwheliming responce for blanks from members of the IAP a pen turning forum. Great customer service I bought them on the 7th and on the 13th 6 days latter I'm told they were not shipped until today. He did say they were shipped priority mail. Mike lets hope this is just an isolated case. If I had waited until you joined and you knew I was a member would they have been shipped the next day?

LanceD

I had to email Mike this morning about not hearing anything from him since I purchased my blank from him also from Ebay. I promptly received an email from him basically telling me the same thing that he told Roy and that it would be shipped by priority mail tomorrow and the reason for the slower shipping was because of the overwhelming response to his blanks.

MHKogan

Wow, this is a tough crowd. I am happy to report that all orders through December 13th have been shipped. Please keep in mind that these are not stock items nor are they mass produced in China. A large part of the manufacturing process is labor intensive and must be performed by some highly trained and skilled craftspeople, here in the USA. While we do inventory some of the more popular items most orders are made to order, which is why we ask for 5 days from order to ship date. The day that George's review was posted here on the forum we sold out everything that we had in stock as well the next weeks complete production (Thank You George). We have now added a second line to our production facility and are back on schedule.

Roy, I assure you that all orders are produced and shipped in the order that they are received and that all of our customers are treated equally and with respect. I wonder if your opinions will change once you have actually seen our product?

I would like to thank all of the members that took advantage of our "Group Buy" and I can't wait to see the pens that they produce. We will offer the "Group Buy" again in the near future.

Mike

mrplace

Originally posted by OKLAHOMANIf I had waited until you joined and you knew I was a member would they have been shipped the next day?

I bought mine before the posts for IAP discounts off of ebay, paid on Sunday 12/2 via paypal and received my blank Friday at the PO 12/7.

Mike is on the up and up. I have had more trouble from some of the highly regarded vendors on this site than the slow shipping on a new product. Should have been expected, not like vendors are slow or backorder items on other group buys.

txcwboy

Yeah Mike Proving yourself to THIS crowd can be brutal at times. I like the "mokume" blank but I have been waiting on someone to make a powedered metal damascus pen blank for a longgg time. I love Damasteel and hope this is the next closes thing. So I am holding out for the Damascus pen blank.

rock on !
Dave

SuperDave

Originally posted by MHKogan

Wow, this is a tough crowd.

Mike,

Glad to see you have a tough skin. You have to if you are going to succeed as an entrepreneur. Stick with it, you are on to something that has tremendous potential. I have not ordered any yet, but will eventually.

Sadly, far too many people in the world lack the ability to adjust their expectations. Anyone with a modicum of common sense and the ability to read, should know that your blanks never claimed to be the "real thing." In fact, a rush to judgment condemned your products without ever doing any real world research. Then, after a member followed through and did the "right thing" and tested your blanks for the whole world to see firsthand; giving an honest assessment, the nay-sayers are left with complaining about your customer service. I guess if you can't admit that the blanks are not "snake oil" you can always flame the company on customer service.

I chuckle every time I visit some web sites of pen turners and read the descriptions they give of their pens. Some can be really "creative" and down right deceptive in their descriptions of a pen made from a $10 kit and a $5 chunk of wood in order to justify their $125 price tag.

On this site you will see people spend $20-$30 for a .05 cent brass tube covered in snake skin encased with .05 cents of resin... heck, I have two on order since early December and will continue to wait patiently until they arrive. I paid the asking price because it was "worth it to me." People buy $25 blanks of Cactus skeletons encased in resin, and I will too, eventually, for my personal collection. The price is worth it to me in my mind because they put the work into making something I could or would not make.

And speaking about "making a blank" just like yours, buy adding some ground metals in resin, I won't even go there. Suffice to say, if it "was that easy, everyone would be doing it"... but they ain't!

So Mike, "keep on keeping on" and you will see a following for your products and those that want to live in a world of spite, false allegations and envy can stand in the corner and sulk.

Let the flaming begin...[^]

Welcome aboard!

MHKogan

All "Group Buy" M3 Metal pen blanks shipped today via Priority Mail with the exception of the international orders which will ship tomorrow (lots of extra paperwork).

Again, I want to thank all of the members that participated and I look forward to every-one's feedback. We will do another "Group Buy" after the first of the year so look for it in the "Business Classified" section.

Mike

Gary Max

Thanks for the confirmation that my blanks are on the way.
We are looking forward to the next group buy---will you have the Damascus ready by then???????
Like you said ---tough crowd:D

Gary Max

This year I finally figured out that it takes the same amount of time to sell a expensive pen as selling a Bargain pen. I got plenty of bargain pens.[:p]

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I am thinking about the not electrically conductive aspect.

It strikes me that this material composition is similar to some capacitors. If so, it may function as one and thus would have high resistance to DC and low resistance to AC. This would appear in simple tests to be non-conductive.

MHKogan

Our QA testing(and one of the forum members) has found some small pin holes in the most recent batch of "Mokume Gane" pen blanks. There is a reaction between the Copper and the Aluminum (generally not compatible metals)that can cause some small air bubbles even after degassing with negative pressure. In most cases these bubbles are forced to the surfaces once the chemical reaction kicks and are not a problem, but our testing has found some with pin holes in the blank itself.

If you received a "Mokume Gane" blank that has pin holes inside the blank after you have turned it then you have two options. One, you can fill the pin holes with a small amount of metal dust mixed with CA or resin(from sanding and drilling). Or two, you can email me a photo of the blank and I will send you a replacement FREE of charge.

This only happens with the Copper/Aluminum and then again only with certain batches. This is a new material involving some very sophisticated technologies and extreme chemical reactions and we learn new things about it every day. Our R&D team has added Stainless Steel to the Aluminum in hopes of stemming any future pin hole issues. Of most importance is that you the customer are never at risk because we will always replace any blank that is not up to your standards.

We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

Mike

OKLAHOMAN

Mike, as I was one of the members who was not as open to your product as others were I decided to order some blanks to see for myself.I e-mailed you with this problem and you answered within a acceptable timeframe with the offer to replace and now you posted on the forum to make all members aware of a potential problem. You are to be commended for your business practices. I apoligize for my remark of snake oil.Thank you for the offer of replacing my blanks,your a great vendor.
Originally posted by MHKogan

Our QA testing(and one of the forum members) has found some small pin holes in the most recent batch of "Mokume Gane" pen blanks. There is a reaction between the Copper and the Aluminum (generally not compatible metals)that can cause some small air bubbles even after degassing with negative pressure. In most cases these bubbles are forced to the surfaces once the chemical reaction kicks and are not a problem, but our testing has found some with pin holes in the blank itself.

If you received a "Mokume Gane" blank that has pin holes inside the blank after you have turned it then you have two options. One, you can fill the pin holes with a small amount of metal dust mixed with CA or resin(from sanding and drilling). Or two, you can email me a photo of the blank and I will send you a replacement FREE of charge.

This only happens with the Copper/Aluminum and then again only with certain batches. This is a new material involving some very sophisticated technologies and extreme chemical reactions and we learn new things about it every day. Our R&D team has added Stainless Steel to the Aluminum in hopes of stemming any future pin hole issues. Of most importance is that you the customer are never at risk because we will always replace any blank that is not up to your standards.

We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

Mike

SuperDave

Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN

Mike, as I was one of the members who was not as open to your product as others were I decided to order some blanks to see for myself.I e-mailed you with this problem and you answered within a acceptable timeframe with the offer to replace and now you posted on the forum to make all members aware of a potential problem. You are to be commended for your business practices. I apoligize for my remark of snake oil.Thank you for the offer of replacing my blanks,your a great vendor.

Roy, you are to be commended for your willingness to apologize. This is what improves the community for everyone.

Mike, it is great to see your level of commitment, not only to your product, but to our members. This will serve your efforts well in the future.

Y'all have a Merry Christmas, ya hear?!

Dave

billteix

i have turned a copper and aluminum as well as bronze. Both are awesome. On the copper n aluminum one i used a Jr Gent II Ti Black kit, and on the bronze a gold JR. Gent. The contrast is fantastic. The bronze has a metal flake sheen... And the pens are not that much heavier then some of my wood Jr. Gents. Next I am going to try the nickel and silver. Now what kit to use hmmm, it will be a Gent of some kind but what plating is the question. I suppose it will depend on the end result color wise after the blank is turned. What plating would one use on Brass blank? Black maybe if one could find a Jr Gent or something like it.

bob393

Well it sounds like this is a product I need to try.
This turned out to be quite a thread.
I didn't know about it till late since I didn't subscribe to it.
Thanks!

Top Bottom