Powder Coating Pen Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alanv73

Has anyone else who has powder coated brass pen tubes ever used silicone stoppers to plug the tube ends during the process? I just tried that last night and I had some difficulties. Foremost, as the tubes heated up in the oven, they had a tendency to pop out. Not just a little either, it was like pop-corn in my toaster oven. I tried heating the tubes before inserting the stoppers, but that didn't make any difference. My fixture holds 10 tubes, all but 3 popped out.

Also, does anyone have any tips for removing the PC from the stoppers for re-use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

You might try to build a stand with wire suspended between two poles and slip the tubes on the wire. Are you trying to not get PC inside? I am not real familiar with the process so that is the only suggestion I have.

hanau

Maybe drill holes thru the stoppers?
It may be the trapped air heating in the tubes causing them to pop out?

Also have you tried cork plugs?

Last edited:

alanv73

Maybe drill holes thru the stoppers?
It may be the trapped air heating in the tubes causing them to pop out?

Also have you tried cork plugs?

I think you're right about the trapped air. I had drilled the stopper on one end to fit the whole assembly over a 3/16 machine screw so it will stand up (and electric connection to fixture). Perhaps I'll try drilling the other end as well. Drilling a silicone plug doesn't leave a very clear hole, but it might be enough.

Would cork withstand the 450 degree oven? I would never get the pc off of cork. They would be disposable.

Regards,
Alan

Kenny Durrant

I think your on the right track. I use silicone plugs and I drill holes in them to suspend them from another wire rack. I haven't had any problems with them popping out. As far as getting PC off the plugs I haven't had a need to do so. The plugs turn black from the coating but there's not enough to worry about.

manik

Do you need to plug the ends? You might try getting a set of gun cleaning brushes, the bronze ones, that fit inside the brass tubes. Gives you the electrical connection, a mechanical mount and can clean out anything left over inside.

Kevin H

Not too sure why you are blocking both ends. Maybe I misunderstand the problem. What I do is I take a slice of potato (1/4 inch) and push the brass tube into it. (just like an old potato gun.) Then when I push the tube into the blank there is no chance of the glue getting into the tube.
Cheers.

jttheclockman

I use tin foil. I have a rack of bolts that I slip the tubes over and then a small piece of tin foil in the top. I then slip the entire rack in the oven. Works well for me.

Crayman

I do similar to JT, I have some bolts standing up thru a piece of metal, I then make a cone out foil on the bolt and put the tube on bolt, then the silicon stopper in the top and coat and bake. I also cover the tray in foil so I can just peel it off after, and rewrap for the next round.

Sylvanite

You don't need to plug the tube ends while powder-coating. The powder is applied by static cling, and the inside of a tube does not hold a charge. I rarely powder-coat tubes, but when I do, I just stick a bent wire inside the tube (bent so that the spring-action holds the tube), attach the electrode to the wire, and spray. As a plus, the tube can hang by the wire in the oven to cure. I never cover the ends, and no powder collects on the inside. At worst, you might need to chamfer the ends.

To get the cured powder paint off silicone plugs, you can often flex the silicone to break the bond. If that doesn't work, try using acetone. It doesn't dissolve all powder paints, but the hobby grade powders typically are soluble in acetone. After a short soak (just a few minutes), the powder paint will soften and peel right off. I've stripped many failed powder-coat jobs with acetone.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Top Bottom