Powder coated bullet pen parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lsweeney

Well I finally got the powder coating done. The tubes are soldered in and all is ready for me to decide what to use for the top half. I have used antler before, but now I'd like to try something different, maybe clear cast some snake skin! what do you think?

Attachments

• powder coat.jpg
    powder coat.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 4,735
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Here's a trick you might want to try next time........

I install the transmission BEFORE I powder coat, that way there's no chance of ruining the finish while pressing it in. What I did was buy some heat resistant tape, 1/4", you can get it at any powder coating supplier. I install the transmission and then wrap it with the tape before I coat it, it works great and I've done over 100 and so far no problems with the heat ruining the transmission.

SteveJ

Looks sweet. I've got an order for half a dozen of those - but I don't have the equipment to do powder coating. Is there another option for the finish? (Don't mean to hijack the thread.)

rd_ab_penman

Some Forest and Bush Camo would look great.
Looks like the clear powder coating has discolored the brass and copper which is what I found. That's why I like to coats with lacquer to avoid the powder coating discoloration.

Les

its_virgil

Polish the brass and buff to a nice shine.

Wipe off any finger prints, oils or buffing residue just prior to coating. I use alcohol and handle with nitrle gloves.

Temperature can be too hot or the pieces can be too close to the heating elements, especially in small toaster ovens.

There is a lacquer for brass. I saw it in a Craft Supplies catalog awhile back.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Jgrden

Yes, I saw that a little , but the CA finish that I tried, I wasn't happy with. I'll keep trying till I find something I like better.........

Just finished a bunch of these. No comment. The powder coating did turn out the way I wanted. I think it was a heat issue. Pens - 4-13-12 #59-12 .30-06 Antler .45 Polished 4.jpg

Pens - 4-13-12 #59-12 .30-06 Antler .45 Polished 4.jpg

Top Bottom