Postable kitless FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigShed

BigShed

Been playing with various ideas for kitless pens and this is the result of one of those sessions.

IMG_4292-1.jpg

I thought it would be nice to have a postable kitless pen, especially as this one was destined for my US swap partner.

IMG_4302.jpg

Blank is my own black PR, trim bits are my version of an Mokume blank.

IMG_4305.jpg

Lots of fun doing these kitless pens, especially having made the section as well.

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4329.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Fred, I really like what you did and the finish you gave to metal to give it the Mokume look. I checked and as hard as I tried I just can't find where your my swap partner:rolleyes:...One of my new favorite component-less pens. Thanks for showing....

BigShed

Fred, I really like what you did and the finish you gave to metal to give it the Mokume look. I checked and as hard as I tried I just can't find where your my swap partner:rolleyes:...One of my new favorite component-less pens. Thanks for showing....

The Mokume is actually a PR/metal composite that I make myself.

You never know, you may be my next swap partnet:)

jasontg99

I love this pen. The "trim bits" material is awesome. My only complaint is the clip does not match. The clip is just nitpicking. I really like this pen.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Fred, I like the way you play with ideas. This pen is over the top. The Mokume mix is a nice touch. The clip caught my eye right off. Very nicely done.

bluwolf

Very cool Fred. Are you going to work the pr/metal mix idea some more? That's an interesting concept.

Mike

wizard

That is a striking pen! It really has a distinct contemporary look to it with those accents. I think the accents look great...and wonder what they would look like in Rhodium....just musing. I really like the way your mind works with ideas, new concepts and resulting drive to experiment! Regards, Doc

brownsfn2

Really cool! I like the trim a lot. I don't think I have seen a kitless where you can screw on the cap to post. I really like that feature!

jasontg99

I love this pen. The "trim bits" material is awesome. My only complaint is the clip does not match. The clip is just nitpicking. I really like this pen.

Love, the pen! Great design! Jason, why do you think the clip doesn't match?

Just my personal opinion. The trim bits are mokume, the clip isn't. To me it just stands out. It is the first thing my eyes are drawn towards. Again, I love, love , love this pen. The clip is just me nitpicking.

Last edited:

BigShed

Thank you all for your kind words, it is always nice to get encouraging feedback from one's peers:good::good:

This whole "kitless" thing (or as one person called craze/fad) lets one use one's imagination to the full and there is some amazing work being shown by so many pen makers.

BigShed

Love, the pen! Great design! Jason, why do you think the clip doesn't match?

Just my personal opinion. The trim bits are mokume, the clip isn't. To me it just stands out. It is the first thing my eyes are drawn towards. Again, I love, love , love this pen. The clip is just me nitpicking.

Jason, it would indeed be nice to have matching clip, but just a bit impractical. The "Mokume" blanks are after all not metal but a PR/metal composite and as such would not function very well as clip.

The clip still has to function as clip, not purely for decoration. I could of course have made a "clipless kitless" pen, but I am not all that sure about clipless pens.

The clip used here is a platinum plated one that I thought fitted in with the overall look.

PenPal

Hi Fred,

A breath of fresh air the courage of ones conviction brought to fruition.

Simple yet complete design, coupled and posted by neat threads held in the pocket by a commanding clip the very way to arrest the pen as you view, hold it from continuing on, showing the command it needs. After all a fair percentage of the introduction of the pen for the first time is seeing it in the pocket.

Looking at the lower pen the grey balances with the black band naturally leading to the nib.

Clean simple natural line sheathed, coupled and posted using clean threads all of this enhanced by the presentation to us culminating on the white dish in a swirl of green, so fluid and appropriate accenting the ink bottle rest, the paper clip stand indeed all very personally tour own.

Commendably executed, displayed, designed with proper presentation.

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom