POSSIBLE CAREER CHANGE

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

So things in work are not looking good at the moment. Our department has no work coming in. I was wondering if i should take pen turning more serious as a business opportunity. The only thing thats bugging me is actually selling pens. The whole country has tightened its belt and people are holding on to the money they have. That can't be of any benefit. I was thinking of creating my own website also. Just throwing it all out there, hoping someone can give me some advice through these tough times.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

The first things that people quit buying are things they don't need. It is a tough market right now. If you go for it, make sure you have all of your ducks in a row and have at least 6 months worth of income saved up. It will take that long, and probably more like a couple of years to get a good, reliable customer base built up.

Dario

Sell some of your bog yew...it will help you for a while. I did something similar to supplement my income for a few years and it helped keep us afloat. A few dollars here and there adds up.

Do not stop looking for a reliable source of income though. Update that resume now and start sending it out. Internet is your friend.

Good luck!!!

Pen Maker

Don't go wasteing money on a hairbrained website. Use photobucket or one of the other ones. I can't say I bought anything lately online. What little I did buy from a website, I surfed it and contacted the people directly. Things are tuff on this side too.

keithkarl2007

the thing is there are no jobs, nobody is taking on workers and if they are they are taking on foreign workers. a couple of lads in work were put on a 3 day week, mostly Irish but all the foreign workers are working the full week.

S

spiritwoodturner

If you need a tax deduction for losses, it's a great idea. If you need anything approaching an income in the next 3 years after starting it up, color me sceptical. I have a website, have been doing it awhile, have good position on Google, get lots of hits-and very little cash, when you factor everything in.

That said, I don't need it and just want it to pay for my artistic endeavors. This is a really good time for multiple skills.

Dale

Pen Maker

This may very well turn into an interesting topic.

I'd guess you'd want to stay away from niche products as a primary seller. Something that would be inexpensive and consumable.

keithkarl2007

i wouldn't concentrate completely on pens, maybe bowls, some ornamental turning, clocks, vases possibly add some small cabinetry work. I just don't know, the only thing i know for certain is i love working with wood.

keithkarl2007

Sell some of your bog yew...it will help you for a while. I did something similar to supplement my income for a few years and it helped keep us afloat. A few dollars here and there adds up.

Do not stop looking for a reliable source of income though. Update that resume now and start sending it out. Internet is your friend.

Good luck!!!

Dario, i was actually thinking that. I've 2 bog yew logs now and a whole yew tree. I just need to get them milled

Pen Maker

well your wood products would be something you already figured out the best pricing on supplies. I got to admit that. But your time could offset the final cost on elaborate items. You got any little helpers for the shop? You'd save some time and still pass on a desirable skill in the process.

keithkarl2007

my 8 year old nephew is dying to turn something on my lathe, i'd love to show him, he seems keen to learn. every time he comes out he keeps asking for a pen i was to turn him out of a small chestnut burl he found. its just not dry yet. i know he's very young and its our future at stake but i'd love to pass this great craft on to him

TowMater

My advice, stay at your job as long as you can.

I'm not saying don't take on your passion as your business, but don't leave your job to do it until your pulling your hair out to meet your orders from your evening job. Then sit down and carefully evaluate where you are at and what the market is doing. Hobby shop woodworking is one thing, making a living at it is entirely a different thing.

I do alot of work for a large custom millwork place here in town. These guys all started off as hobbyists with incredible talent and drive, now they spend no time in thier shops after working on this stuff for 10 hours a day for customers.

Keep that in mind!

Pen Maker

I went to bed and then it hit me so I got back up and turned on this blasted computer just to tell you my brain storm! You ready for this??? Snow Globes

My advice, stay at your job as long as you can.

I'm not saying don't take on your passion as your business, but don't leave your job to do it until your pulling your hair out to meet your orders from your evening job. Then sit down and carefully evaluate where you are at and what the market is doing. Hobby shop woodworking is one thing, making a living at it is entirely a different thing.

I do alot of work for a large custom millwork place here in town. These guys all started off as hobbyists with incredible talent and drive, now they spend no time in thier shops after working on this stuff for 10 hours a day for customers.

Keep that in mind!

Karl,
I second this... I've been doing pens and turning only about 8 years and it started as a hobby, so far my income is still at about the hobby level.. I've done shows and have a website... the website almost pays for itself, the shows bring in enough to buy more supplies so I can do more shows..

I retired from my full time work about 3 1/2 years ago and now draw social security to live on... without that, I'm sure the wife and I would be living under a bridge somewhere and wondering when the next handout was going to come along... there are those who make a living off wood work, but there probably are more who don't.

All that said, don't let me discourage you. If after you've taken a good hard comprehensive look at your expectations and still think it's a possibility, go for it. And you being Irish I probably don't need to:biggrin:, but I wish you much luck in whatever you decide.

Pen Maker

Chuck, what about the snow globes ide? I mean their cheap enough... everybody likes em..

Pen Maker

We can paste one of them prism's on the ones we sell down your way... we'll call 'em Rainbow Globes.. but those we sell for a dollar and a quarter !!!

Gary Max

Keith---I do this for a living----no checks the first of the month or on Fridays.
This is the slowest I have ever seen it......hope your cost of living is very low----keep some venison in the frezzer and buy beans in 25lb bags. This year we will have two gardens.
Oh---don't buy a dodge truck like mine.

bitshird

I have to agree with those that say hold on to any stedy income you can, I'm like chuck, lately making my scrapers has allowed me to buy more pen junk, my wife has a job albeit not a great one and she being a sweet younger lady, (at least younger than dirt) when I break wind dust flies out. but I've only sold 2 pen last month, neither a high dollar item.
I can recommend a web server that charges 12.00 a year, I use them and have been happy with their service, but I've yet to make a sale from it, Probably my fault for procrastinating on a shopping cart, I hate to go outside IAP members but that is a significant dollar savings.
It's just a sad fact that we are all in a precarious financial situation, they announced this morning that the American populations assets were down 23% of their value from last year.
I can't imagine things being much better across the pond, I know that over here there is very little disposable income, there may be some Niche markets left but I haven't a clue as to what they are, or where they are.
Probably your best shot is to sell off some of your Bog Oak and Yew to Idiots like me, who has spent nearly every thing I've made from my scrapers on wood and kits that I hope I'll be able to sell one day. or else will have to figure a way to make them taste good, ever try southern fried Afzelia Burl??

[size=-2]note to self, quit watching Dr. Who, there is no hope, the Darleks are coming[/size]

Last edited:
Top Bottom