IMG_1317.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1316.JPG
    IMG_1316.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 155
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Good job, remarkably good finish for poplar. Most of the poplar I get around here has green streaks near the heart wood, not as nicely colored as yours. Also excellent job on balancing the heartwood to have it end up so symmetrical.

Wildman

Eric, have few rough outs waiting for completion with green streaks. Also had one with purple, green, & brown streaks posted year or so ago. Got my Poplar from storm damage trees after hurricane Alice. Still have about four or five rough outs waiting for final turning.

Good thing about Poplar is it dries reasonably quick. Downside is a lot of torn end grain. Some turners may say have to read the grain of the wood better to avoid torn end grain. I just a say it's Poplar use sharp tools and be ready to do a lot of power sanding on some bowl blanks. Although Poplar is a hardwood but not very hard and damages easily.

Derek finish is lacquer.

Pitoon, bowl measures almost 20 cm x 6 ½ cm, or 7 ¾" x 2 ½".

Simple bowl, maybe, but really rather beautiful. Nice work!

Aside - poplar does, indeed, have green heart wood - when it's fresh cut. However, it will age and the green will change to a rather nice mid-to-dark brown.

Top Bottom