pop ups

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Jeff, Let me check with Comcast, first. I am getting them all over, now. I call Comcast and cant get thru by phone, keeps cutting me off and cannot open the online help pages, either. Probably not a problem, here.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Glenn,

Look at your "uninstall software" and find software that shows an installation date in the past few days---uninstall it, if you did NOT specifically request it.

When you download any free software lately, it is coming with add-ons that you can opt out of, but even then it seems some of them land on your computer. They ARE easily uninstalled.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'm having our security sleuth Tyler check our server anyway. As others have said, sounds like browser malware. Let me know if you discover otherwise.

monophoto

Check your browser. Most browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari) include a settable option to block popups. The best approach is to invoke that popup blocker setting globally, and then selectively bypass it on sites that you use frequently and where you need popups.

Popup blockers aren't 100%, but they will eliminate a significant portion of the unwanted advertising.

edstreet

Several things.

We do not know what browser you are using for starters. It could be a toolbar for the browser, a BHO, a rogue app, a plugin, a search hijack, a registry hijack or a dns exploit at play. It does not even need to be a browser issue itself, it could simply be a program running in the background. Just to name the basic ones as there are others that can do the same things.

Few rules of the road,

*) Uninstall all toolbars, even google, yahoo, aol, all of them remove them.

*) remove any program you are not using in control panel - add/remove programs (or modern os programs and features_

*) ccleaner, purge that old junk. you want to check some additional boxes but read what they do first.

*) program called 'rogue killer' you can get it from major geeks, 2 versions, 32 bit and 64 bit. run that. do the scan and afterwards delete and 'fix' everything except the shortcuts, even if it's 'clean', that would be dns.

Browsers must be closed for those 2 programs to work properly.

Adblock plus in firefox is a blessing. I also recommend flash block.

Last edited:
Top Bottom