Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi All,
Like loads of members, I was really taken with Bruce Boones latest Flame pen. When my wife saw the pic on the home page, she oooh'd and aaaaah'd more than she ever has for the loads of pens I've given her!!! So the challenge was on. I knew from the beginning that I could not copy it, but I have unshamedly based my attempt on his design. It was loads of fun and the blank only went near the lathe to drill the hole for the tube and refill. Hope you like it

20061210201021_PMF.jpg

20061210201137_PMF2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jim, it actually feels ok to write with as the kit part is long enough to hold and the body is also a triangular, if you like to hold a pen higher.
Ed, flat, round and half round files only. Oh, and hours of sanding[xx(] Have blisters on my thumbs!!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by skiprat
<br />Jim, it actually feels ok to write with as the kit part is long enough to hold and the body is also a triangular, if you like to hold a pen higher.
Ed, flat, round and half round files only. Oh, and hours of sanding[xx(] Have blisters on my thumbs!!!!

I am truly in awe. You are a patient person!!!!!!!

(I AIN'T)

NICE job.[8D][8D][8D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />
Originally posted by skiprat
<br />Jim, it actually feels ok to write with as the kit part is long enough to hold and the body is also a triangular, if you like to hold a pen higher.

I am truly in awe. You are a patient person!!!!!!!

(I AIN'T)

NICE job.[8D][8D][8D]

Either patient or the wife offered one heck of a deal!! [}:)][;)]

btboone

Good job Steven. I know what you mean about the blisters! I use a lot of different sanding tools starting from a belt sander, to sanding disks, down to micromesh. The trilobe shape is surprisingly comfortable to write with.

We might need to change the name to International Association of Penturners and Pencarvers. [:eek:)]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for all kind comments.[:)]
John, the cap is made from solid brass, it was originally an off cut of a lock bolt. I made a version of Eagles chuck to hold it while I turned it. This is actually the second cap. The first was also made from acrylic, but while sanding, I dropped it on the floor and stood on it. It cracked the acrylic and squashed the tube. I managed to save the plastic insert. I'm happier with the brass cap anyway.
This is my first closed end pen and I'm quite pleased.

Now I have to go and get my part of the deal from LOML[:D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Eagle, I don't know if you invented it or not. But the one I made was based on the pin chuck you posted a pic of on 19 Sept. I Just did a search on 'pin chuck' and that popped up.[}:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Oh that one.Thanks for the credit,it's off shoot of any other pin chuck.
I am just cheap and make do with what I can get.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom