Polyurethane GLue!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP!!!

I glued up 30 pen blanks last week using polyurethane glue. All was OK except the 2 fountain pens that I had to use a stepped drill bit on. The expanding of the glue pushed the tubes out fo the blanks. Does anyone know a way that I may be able to save these by un-gluing thm somehow?
Thanks & Cheers
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Oops...none that I know of...other than salvaging the tubes by turning off all the wood (and glue). Maybe someone knows a way.

Next time...use rubberbands (atleast on step drilled blanks) [;)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Mike--I'm not sure which fountain pen you are making, but dissolving the polyurethane glue is not likely to be successful. If possible, you will be better served by cutting off the protruding section of tube and glueing in a section of tube on the end of the hole where there is no tube. While it's nice to have a solid brass tube inside the body of the pen, it is not necessary. All you really need is sufficient brass inside the body to 1) insure proper and concentric alignment, and 2) to accept and hold the pressure fittings.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by vick
<br />You can try soaking in Acetone.

Turn them thin, soak them in acetone for a couple of days and they should just fall apart. I use polyurethane glue almost exclusively but I've never done a stepped drill pen. I would suggest you wrap that one up tightly with a rubber band to keep it from backing out or use CA or Epoxy for the stepped pen.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Hey Mike! how many more guys from the Canadian Woodworking site are finding there way here?

I used poly for the first time this week on a wart hog tusk I was commissioned to do( didn't have an\y flex CA on hand)
I regularly plug the ends with paraffin.
I plugged both ends and pused one out and reinserted it leaving it proud.
I used a small quick grip clamp to hold it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom