polyurethane glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

knothole

using polyurethane glue the tubes are pushed out of the wood blanks how long do you have to watch the tubes so you can push them back and they will not move again. i hate to go off and leave the pen blanks and come back and find the tube is sticking out.i am new at this and am trying to learn .i can use any help

thanks

jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Jack,
You'll have to watch them 'till the glue cures. It usually cures about 24 hours after gluing. It makes for some sleepless nights, that's why most of us glue up MANY blanks at a time.

OK, sorry...just pulling your leg. You can try putting rubber bands around the blanks, or many of the other suggestions you'll find here, to keep the tubes from pushing out. Or, you can do like me and not worry 'bout it. I've glued up about 20-25 pens this way, and haven't had one push out yet. Just keep the blanks basically level, and if you are really concerned, check back about an hour after you've glued 'em up. At that point, the tube should still be movable, but the glue will have expanded about as much as it will.

Hope this helps!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
And the absolute best fix for this problem is to use epoxy... [:p][}:)][;)]
This is the primary reason I stopped using poly glue.... I now use only 5 min or 30 min epoxy..

elody21

I agree with Old Griz!!!!!!! Epoxy is the way to go!!!! Try it, you'll like it!!!!! Sears has Devcon 5min 9 oz. in EACH bottle that is 18OZ for around $9.00!!!! How can you beat that!!!!!

Dario

I just bought DevCon 2 part syringe type 5 minute clear epoxy (25 ml)
from Walmart and it cost me $1.95 or so.

Not bad for trial purposes ;)

Paul Russell

Tom,

What brand of Epoxy do you use?

Are you able to actually start turning after 5 or 30 minutes? I can see it with non-stabilized wood but roughing down stabilized wood is pretty stressful on the glue bond.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I use whatever is on sale.. just ordered some on our bulk buy...
I usually give the 5 minute about 15-20 minutes to cure, and I use the 30 minute when I am setting up a load of blanks and then I usually don't turn them til the next day...

GregD

I have to agree with Eagle on this one. I only use Epoxy when doing antler. Then it's not that necessary. As for poly glue, I've never had a tube move. I only use poly glue when I'm out of CA. The rubber band or masking tape sounds like good fix if your having this problem.

Scott

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />. . . drill em, tube em, mill em , turn em no more than 10 minutes tops.
Eagle!

For some reason, reading your post reminded me of the theme song from the old TV western, Rawhide! [:D]

Yeehaw!

Scott.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Scott
<br />
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />. . . drill em, tube em, mill em , turn em no more than 10 minutes tops.
Eagle!

For some reason, reading your post reminded me of the theme song from the old TV western, Rawhide! [:D]

Yeehaw!

Scott.

If I want to add a diagonal accent in the CB area it might take 15 mins.
(That's why God invented accelerant)
yellowyes.gif

MDWine

I use the poly, and have never had one push out. I don't soak the blank, I just breathe through it to provide a little moisture. I spread the glue with a bamboo skewer to make sure it is even, and not terribly thick.
It does foam up a bit, so I think I am getting a good cure.
In my mind, the only drawback it that it takes hours to cure. (I usually wait overnight).
Other than that, no worries, mate!!

epson

I always use poly glue, and have never had a problem. I place a piece of wax paper on a flat surface and place the blangs on one end. The force of gravity will keep the brass tube from rising, and will sit flush with the bottom of the blank.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There may be a difference in the brands of glue we use. I used to use Gorilla. It foams a lot and I had problems with the tubes coming out, even while standing them on end.

I switched to the Titebond brand of poly glue. It foams a lot less, cures faster, and the tubes are no longer coming out. And, it keeps longer after the bottle has been opened.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />There may be a difference in the brands of glue we use. I used to use Gorilla. It foams a lot and I had problems with the tubes coming out, even while standing them on end.

I switched to the Titebond brand of poly glue. It foams a lot less, cures faster, and the tubes are no longer coming out. And, it keeps longer after the bottle has been opened.

I have had similar experiences.

I use PL (the guys who make PL-400 adhesive) because I got 16 oz bottles for $3.99 a while back and it does not seem to foam as much as gorilla glue. I have also had pretty good luck using the Elmers poly from Home Depot. Only time I have had tubes work out with PL or Elmers is when I put them on their sides on a surfase that was not level. NEVER had any problems with either brand when standing blanks on end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom